Academic awards for the Reddies

Haley Spicer, Sports Reporter

Student-athletes at Henderson State are a huge deal. The ability of student-athletes to make good grades and maintain them while balancing playing a sport deserves recognition. The Reddies sports’ teams hit a new milestone in the Spring 2020 semester regarding good grades by shattering the old cumulative GPA of 3.07 to a new GPA of 3.33 despite the out of control circumstances that took place. More student-athletes were also recognized this semester with the D2ADA Academic Awards in the 2019-2020 school year.

A total of 62 student-athletes accepted the award that was based on having at least a cumulative 3.5 GPA as well as completing at least 2 years. When Henderson State University student-athletes reach achievement on that level, it emphasizes the student in student-athlete and the importance of education. Out of all the GAC teams, the Reddies were ranked as number 3.

All 14 sports teams had over a 3.0 GPA with volleyball coming in first place with a 3.73 and the Men’s Basketball team at the bottom with 3.05. The Men’s Baseball team received major props for having the best GPA in the men category. All the student-athletes having these types of GPA’s during this unusual season stands out.