Hard(ing) to beat

Lady Bisons go 2-0 over Reddies for regular season

Donovan Lee

Christiane Uzoh rises for the attack. Harding was able to go 2-0 over the Reddies on the regular season.

Macayla Newsom, Assitant Sports Editor

SEARCY AR– The Reddies went head-to-head Harding University for the second time this season, this time hosted by the Lady Bisons. The Reddies and the Lady Bisons have been matched up annually since 1983. Harding holds the most wins in the series, 61-27. Harding currently sits at fifth in the GAC volleyball standings.

Harding started off well in the first set, taking a 7-3 lead. Junior outside hitter Mya Robinson attempted to regain the lead back for Henderson with several impressive kills, but the Lady Bisons still managed to stay ahead. Despite the effort of the visiting Reddies, Harding won the first set 25-18. 

Unlike the first set, the Reddies claimed the initial lead in the second set, 8-4. They held the lead until the very end when Harding shrunk the margin and forced the set into overtime. The lead changed several times throughout the set with multiple kills from freshman setter Madison Hatt. With the set going into extra point territory because of the win-by-two rule, the Lady Bisons scored twice in a row to claim their second set 32-30. 

Even though the Reddies controlled set three early, the score remained close throughout most of the third set with multiple kills from Robinson, Junior outside hitter Violetta Mendoza Quintana and freshman outside hitter Christiane Uzoh. As the set came down to its final points, the Lady Bisons owned the lead and proceeded to take set three, claiming a sweep over the Reddies. 

Mya Robinson led the team with 36 total attacks, Violetta Mendoza Quintana with 27 and Uzoh finished the match with 20 total attacks. Junior libero had 21 digs, while Robinson had 12. The Reddies’ next game will be against Arkansas Tech University on Nov. 2 at the Duke Wells Center.