Reddies annihilate Crimson Storm

HSU claims their tenth sweep of the season

Donovan Lee

Madison Hatt sets up the attack for the Reddies in their match versus Southern Nazarene.

Macayla Newsom, Assitant Sports Editor

ARKADELPHIA, AR– Henderson State (17-7, 6-5 GAC) has competed against Southern Nazarene in volleyball since 2012, and so far, the record has remained close at 6-4 with SNU ahead in the series. The Reddies last played against the Crimson Storm in 2019 in Hot Springs during the GAC tournament when SNU triumphed 3-1. This edition of the matchup, hosted at Duke Wells Center, was ‘Pink Day’, in honor of breast cancer awareness.

Henderson State made ground quickly in the first set, scoring four points in a row followed by three more in a row making the score (7-1). After a timeout and a substitution of players for SNU, the Crimson Storm earned a few kills but still could not manage to claim the lead. The Reddies held the lead throughout the rest of the set, despite the efforts of the Southern Nazarene. HSU claims the set, 25-21.

Once again, HSU took the early lead in the second set after multiple kills by junior outside hitter Mya Robinson. SNU attempted to stage a comeback, bringing the score to a tie for the first half of the set. Towards the end of the set, a battle for the lead between the two teams caused the set to go past the 25-point regulation. Freshman outside hitter Christiane Uzoh made the final kill, putting the Reddies up two sets.

Set three commenced with the Crimson Storm taking charge, but Reddies were determined to complete the sweep so they turned the set around in their favor with multiple kills from Mendoza Quintana and sophomore middle blocker Kaitlyn Sykes, and two consecutive aces from freshmen setter Madison Hatt. Once the Reddies secured the lead, the trend did not change for the remainder of the set. With an attack error by the Crimson Storm, HSU claimed the third set to win their tenth sweep of the season.

Mendoza Quintana led HSU with 16 kills and 11 digs, Robinson and Uzoh close behind her with nine kills each. Junior libero Makenzie Thoman had 17 digs. In the third set, the Reddies went on both an eight-point and a six-point sequence. 

The Reddies will return to the court in a road matchup versus Harding Oct. 28 in Searcy, AR. The previous meeting between the Lady Bisons and Reddies ended in a 3-1 defeat for HSU.