Lady Bisons trample the Reddies

No. 23 Oklahoma Baptist beats Henderson State in four sets

Donovan Lee

Reddies outside hitter Christiane Uzoh rises for the kill in their match against No. 23 Oklahoma Baptist.

Macayla Newsom, Assitant Sports Editor

ARKADELPHIA, AR– The Reddies looked to regroup from their recent shortcomings in a match against the Bisons of Oklahoma Baptist, whom they had not lost to since 2017, a three-game winning streak. They last went head-to-head with OKBU in 2019 when they conquered the Lady Bisons in a 3-1 victory.

Quickly into the first set, the Reddies and the Lady Bisons were tied at eight all, after both teams converted a four-point sequence. OKBU continued to raise the Reddies’ bet until junior outside hitter Mya Robinson posted a flurry of kills to tie up the set. The score remained close until the very end, but the Lady Bisons claimed the first set, 25-23. 

An early two points for Henderson in set two were succeeded by an 11-point sequence for the Lady Bisons. After the Reddies’ attempt to regroup with a short timeout, the Lady Bisons proceeded to score four more unanswered points. Even after four consecutive kills from junior outside hitter Violeta Mendoza Quintana, HSU could not overcome the deficit and the Lady Bisons eventually claimed the second set, 25-19. 

The Reddies turned the tables in the third set, scoring multiple three-point sequences, producing several kills by Robinson and Quintana, and a service ace by freshman setter Madison Hatt. The lead volleyed back and forth throughout the game until the last few rallies when HSU took the lead with a final kill by sophomore middle blocker Kaitlyn Sykes. Henderson fans went wild as the Reddies claimed their first set of the night, 25-21, to avoid a possible sweep. 

After their defeat in the third set, OKBU’s coach brought in a couple new players in hopes to claim victory. The Reddies and Lady Bisons were both intense in the first half of the set, scoring back and forth until the Lady Bisons took the lead and overpowered the Reddies. HSU attempted to come back with several kills from Mendoza Quintana and freshman outside hitter Christiane Uzoh, but ultimately, the Lady Bisons took the match with a nine-point margin of victory, 25-16.

Mendoza Quintana led the Reddies with 15 kills. Robinson and Uzoh followed in stats with 11 kills each, and junior setter Taylor Scalzi assisted on 27 scores. Freshman setter Madison Hatt also assisted 11 times and had two successful service aces. Junior libero Makenzie Thoman had a team-high of 36 digs, Robinson tallied 25, and Mendoza accounted for 20 of her own.

The Reddies will be back in action on October 22 at 6:30 p.m. in the Duke Wells Center, playing host to Southern Nazarene.