Loss of Intramural Fields on Campus Raises Concerns

By Madison MacNew

Throughout the past several months, Henderson has begun constructing new housing for its students. The plan is to build two separate residence buildings – one apartment style complex and one traditional dormitory.

The apartments are supposed to house up to 240 students and will be built on the property at 10th St. and M.H. Russell Drive.  Although new housing has been needed on campus for quite a while, the location of the construction has caused uproar among students. The buildings will be constructed on what were the university’s intramural fields.

“I was a part of a few meetings with the architect Henderson hired to survey different areas around our campus – areas that we owned. The conclusion of those meetings was that the current space, the intramural field, provided the best location for a residence hall that would be the size, the style and the type that Henderson students deserve,” said Allan Ford, assistant director of residence life.

While Ford expresses his and the University’s concern and compassion for the students’ quality of life here at Henderson, the question still remains: Where will Henderson students enjoy their year-round intramural sports? Greek Olympics? What about the long-lived and cherished traditions of the Phi Lambda Chi Drum Beat Ceremony and bonfire during Homecoming week?

Almost most importantly, where does the Showband of Arkansas practice their drills now that the intramural field is uprooted and turned into a dirt-piled construction zone?

“This year is a little different. It’s a bit frustrating because we don’t have a permanent place to practice. Despite this year’s challenges we are making the best of it and it’s going to be a great season,” David Veazey, senior physics major and band member, said.

On top of the loss of the existing intramural field, many questions have been raised about who will live “down the hill,” or even who would want to have to make that walk up the hill to classes every day, considering the current parking situation, or lack thereof, on campus.

If the new apartments are gated like the Whispering Oaks community is, will residents have separate parking passes like the current Whispering Oaks residents?

“Personally, I would not like to endure that much physical labor every day on the walk to class. I think it’s unfair that some of the students will be centrally located and others will have to walk or drive and find a parking spot,”Adrianne Hancock, junior business management major, said.

Unless parking renovations are to be made and universal parking passes are permitted to all residence halls and facilities, many parking tickets could be a concern.

Some students are also deeply concerned with being a true part of campus. Being located down the hill is not going to give students access to the heart of campus. Such a dilemma raises issue for not only the class activities, but also the social activities for students.

Despite the rising curiosities and concerns with the construction of new housing on the once intramural fields, Henderson students can rest assured that their university is making this decision for their benefit and for the good of the Henderson campus and city of Arkadelphia.

The school with a heart will surely be doing all that it can to ensure all students receive the most quality education and college experience for all of its students.