Oracle Online

Softball hardball

Story by Tyler Freeman, Student Reporter

In the first game of four against Oklahoma Baptist, the Reddies defeated the Lady Bison by a score of 6-0. The Reddies scored their runs in spirts, scoring 3 runs in the second and the fifth. 

In the bottom of the second, Kaitlyn Felder led the inning off with a double and advanced to third on a sacrifice bunt. Ashleigh Erb doubled to left field and plated Felder. With two outs and Erb standing on second, Shayla Wright belted a home run and the Reddies led 3-0. 

Alyssa Dixon led the fifth inning off with an infield single, Wright singled to left, and Alexis Morton also singled to left field to load the bases. With two outs and the bases loaded, Keirsten Seahorn hit a three run double off the wall to set the score at 6-0. 

Michelle Sorensen pitched all seven innings in the circle to pick up the win, while only allowing four hits. 

In the second game of Friday’s doubleheader, the Lady Bison defeated the Reddies 4-3 in eight innings. 

The Lady Bison struck first scoring three unearned runs in the top of the second to lead 3-0. 

The Reddies began to chip away at the lead in the bottom of the second, as Seahorn led off with a double and scored on a single by Erb. The Lady Bison led 3-1. 

The Reddies tied the score at 3 in the bottom of the fifth when Olivia Trapp singled to right field to plate Seahorn and Morton. 

Both offenses were quiet in the sixth and seventh, and at the end of regulation the game was tied at 3. The Lady Bison picked up a run in the top of eighth and the Reddies failed to score in the bottom half to set the final. 

Cayleigh Guthrie took the loss for the Reddies, and Seahorn finished the game 2-3 at the plate. 

In the first game of Saturday’s doubleheader, the Reddies defeated the Lady Bison 5-3. 

The Reddies struck first in the bottom of the first as Selena Mendoza hit a single that plated Seahorn and Morton. The Reddies led 2-0. 

The Reddies struck again in the second as Dixon was hit by a pitch and advanced to second on a single by Wright. Dixon stole third and scored on a throwing error by the catcher and the Reddies led 3-0. 

The score did not change until the top of the fifth, when the Lady Bison scored one run. The Lady Bison scored again in the top of the sixth, and the Reddies led 3-2. 

In the bottom of the sixth the Reddies picked up two insurance runs, as Courtney Warren doubled with two outs and Morton blasted a two-run home run over the left field wall and the Reddies led 5-2. 

The Lady Bison added one run in the top of the seventh to set the final at 5-3. In her first start, Sydney Bonner picked up the win throwing five innings and only allowed three hits. Sorensen picked up the save for the Reddies. 

In the final game of the series, the Reddies defeated the Lady Bison 8-0 in five innings. 

The Reddies scoring began in the second inning, as the Reddies loaded the bases with three singles. Erb hit a double that plated Mendoza and Garza. Shayla Wright walked with the bases loaded to score Trapp. Warren then grounded out to plate Erb and the Reddies led 4-0. The Reddies were not done in the second, as Seahorn doubled with two outs to score Morton and Wright and the lead was 6-0. 

The Reddies scored the final two runs of the game in the third when Trapp singled to score Garza. Trapp scored when Dixon tripled to right field to set the final at 8-0. 

Sorensen pitched all five innings, allowing only one hit while striking out seven batters. She appeared in three of the four games over the weekend. 

“The first day I was not throwing as good. Today it was an all-around effort as everyone was hitting good, the defense played good, and I pitched good. It was an all-around win” said Michelle Sorensen, a junior psychology major. 

The Reddies are now 9-7 on the season and are 3-1 in GAC play. The women return to action on Friday in Searcy for a four game GAC series.