EXTRA LIVES

Back to Article
Back to Article

EXTRA LIVES

By Ashley Smith, Editor in Chief

Nineties kids probably remember telethons raising money for charity featuring a variety of performers and segments. Keeping up with the times, Henderson Television held a 24-hour live stream for Arkansas Children’s Hospital where $300 was raised by the hopeful staff. Their third live stream to date, the success of this one planted an optimistic future for the rest.

Twitch, YouTube and Facebook streamed the crew’s segments for the day. “Students, like Leighton, were already familiar with platforms like Twitch,” Paul Glover, Associate Professor of Mass Media, said, “they brought it to us.” Rhonda McBain, a representative of Arkansas Children’s Hospital, awarded a plaque to the staff for their work.

Video games, a cooking segment and a “fourth meal” run to Taco Bell were featured in the live stream for charity.

Glover helped with the live stream with cooking brunch for a segment. Eggs benedict, turkey bacon, ham with Hollandaise sauce and skewered fruit were on the menu.

“I only did a little bit of the programming,” Glover said. “I helped with tech and support.” “We raised more than last year,” Leighton Hall, director of the live stream and manager of HTV, said. “We were on air the entire time unlike last time.”

Compared to last year’s live stream, this year it streamed from Ramsauer House, the base for all Innovative Media operations. Freedom to move around, control of the building and control of the air conditioning helped contribute to the successful live stream.

A small viewer
base didn’t get the team
down. Social media
blasts and flyers on
campus got the word
out.

“We don’t have the shouting distance since we don’t stream consistently,” Hall said. “We got into the double digits for viewers, so $300 is pretty good for that number.” Planning and organization are an essential part of planning for a daylong live stream. The crew wanted to “knock it out of the park,” so they met most Fridays, made plans on Slack, and spent two months getting ideas. Hall also had to create back up plans if a segment didn’t go through. “It’s hard trying to find people up and conscious past midnight,” Hall said. “There’s footage of me zoning out. I guess my caffeinated tea didn’t completely work.” Jake Wyatt, senior music major, made an appearance in complete uniform as Pepsi-man. The E-sports team, one of the school’s newest additions, played Super Smash Bros. to end the production.

“Collaboration offriends to make a goal happen was the best part,” Kara Amato, senior mass media major and KSWH staff, said. “Everyone could just be themselves for a good cause.”

HTV is hoping to come up with more productions like this in the future and getting as many people involved the studio as possible. Though Hall is graduating in December, there is still promise for the future of the live stream.
“I think it has the potential to go far,” Amato said. “With more chances for donations, it can only get better.”

Check out what else HTV has to offer in Arkansas Hall, on their local channel, and on Youtube.

Facebook, Instagram and hsuoracle.com feature HTV Today reguarly and post content. Support your fellow students and their works, because you never know what they’ll be doing in the future. Get interviewed and get your story on HTV by contacting them. Stop by the studio to see the plaque that was awarded. It’s pretty cool, and pretty awesome money was raised for those kids.