HSU International Food Bazaar

Bri Barkley, Contributing Reporter

On Thurs., March 14th, the 22nd annual International Food Bazaar will be held in the Garrison Ballroom from 5-7. At HSU, this is an event sanctioned by HISA (Henderson International Student Association) in addition to support from the International Programs on campus, Sodexo, Chicken Express, and the 67 Grill.

During this two hour event, the Arkadelphia community is invited to celebrate the foods and traditions of the many International Students here. Anybody who is interested is able to sign up on the Henderson State University Center for International Programs Facebook page to prepare dishes from different countries, including the US, to be served. Volunteering for the event is also available by contacting Dr. Xu.

The first hour of the event there will be live music performed by Dr. Rick Diamond and his Jazz Ensemble. During the second, cultural performances and displays of native cultures will be shown for the attendees. Throughout the night, there will also be international trivia with prizes.

Tickets are on sale now at the International House and the Landmark Building in the Hot Springs Campus. The prices are $10 for adult, $8 for students of HSU and OBU with ID, and $5 for children ten and under, and $25 for families of two adults and two children. The proceeds go to Heifer International.

Mr. Blake Smith, the International Student Advisor at HSU wanted to share this bit of information:

“The main purpose of the event is to enhance the cultural knowledge of campus and give many access to dishes and cultures that they may not otherwise be able to see and taste.  It gives our International Students a chance to share a little bit about themselves. It also gives HISA and its officers real world experience in running an event while raising money for a charitable cause.”