Softball splits season-opening series

Reddies open season, break even with Delta State

Karen Villeda

Reddies softball began their 2021 season on Jan. 29 against Delta State in a double-header.

Donovan Lee, Sports Editor / HTV Station Manager

Many things were left to wonder about in 2020. When the pandemic began, it ended a plethora of activities. Reddies softball happened to be a part of the lengthy list of programs to be halted for safety precautions.

On Jan. 29, the ladies were able to return to the field and open their 2021 season. The Friday festivities consisted of a double-header against Delta State. For the Reddies’ new head coach David Martinez, this would be his first glimpse of action since being brought on to lead the Henderson ladies from the dugout.

Junior pitcher Mallory Brewer (5.1 IP, 7 K, 1 R) was on the mound for HSU to start game one of the day. Her arm held strong for two solid innings before DSU would score off of a fielder’s choice in the top of the third inning, the first run of the game between either team.

HSU scored a run in the sixth inning to tie it at one a piece, credited to freshman cleanup hitter Czoey White with her first home run in the Red and White. This would allow for HSU to send the game into extra innings.

Teams have an advantage in extra innings as they begin batting with a runner on second base. Delta State would bat first and successfully send a runner across home plate to go up 2-1.

Henderson would capitalize on the opportunity and would cease the moment by scoring two runs, both involving junior left fielder Kailey Reese. She sent a runner home off her double and would score a run herself off of a walk-off single from sophomore catcher Abbie Moore to win, 3-2.

Game two wouldn’t pan out as the Reddies hoped, as Delta State took down Henderson State, 5-3. The Lady Senators propelled themselves to a win with a two-run and a solo homer over the fences in the fifth inning, allowing both teams to break even for the series.

HSU returns to action the weekend of Feb. 12 through Feb. 14 when they host the McGhee-Hawkins Invitational tournament at Dee White Field. They will begin their weekend with a Friday double-header against Maryville and Texas A&M-Kingsville, respectively.