A Passion for Creativity

A creative outlook helps freshman Tessa Walthour figure it all out.

Tessa+Walthour%E2%80%99s+passion+is+pure+creativity.+
Tessa Walthour’s passion is pure creativity.

Photo courtesy of Tessa Walthour.

Photo courtesy of Tessa Walthour.

Rae Dinger, Reporter

Creativity can come from anywhere. It can manifest in how you think, see, and feel.

It can appear in how you do the dishes or even how you do your homework, if you ask freshman English major, Tessa Walthour.

Like me, she believes creativity can come from anywhere and anything, which is a big reason as to why she’s so passionate about it.

My first question for her was simply, “What are you most passionate about, and what can you tell me about it?”

“I think I’m most passionate about creativity,” said Tessa, “and the simple act of being creative daily in some way, shape, or form. Every time I say it, though, I get flashbacks from ‘Don’t Hug Me I’m Scared’ but hear me out.”

The ‘Don’t Hug Me I’m Scared’ web series is certainly on the stranger end of the creative spectrum, but we can’t dismiss it just because we’re uncomfortable with it. But trust me. It’s very uncomfortable.

“When did you start to realize you were becoming passionate about creativity?” I asked.

“Back in middle school, I began to push myself toward finding something I liked doing,” Tessa continued, “and that was around the time I noticed my life was mostly me finding strange and enjoyable ways to accomplish daily things.

“When I wasn’t drawing, reading, or writing something, it was almost like I worked backwards with my homework in math, science, and even English to finish it efficiently, and in a way that helped me understand the work. I saw this as a creative approach to things in daily life, but quickly ran into people who believed you couldn’t be creative outside of an art class.”

For artists of any kind out there, how many times have you been faced with “I can barely draw a stick figure” or “I can’t even memorize a tune” from others? It’s a frustrating thing to hear, but instead of sighing in their direction, we should encourage them to practice the form of creativity they’re seeking out, because it’s the only way they’ll ever get better.

When asked how her passion has influenced her life, Tessa responded, “Creativity is something people use all the time, rather artistically or logically.”

For me, taking note of my way of thinking has helped me know myself better than anything, which has kept me out of so many difficult situations in the past.

“Knowing yourself and figuring out how you work is probably the biggest thing you’ll ever do, and I am so glad I pushed myself at a younger age to do so.”

My next question for her was “do you have anyone who supports you and your passion?”

“That’s the best thing about being passionate about creativity, if I’m honest, because you are the only one who truly needs your support. I never announced to anyone around me that I was looking into my creative behavior and figuring myself out, and nobody ever really noticed because I was still me,” she replied.

When asked how she recommended people become more creative and introspective about themselves, Tessa said, “This is the part nobody wants to do. Look at yourself. How do you add numbers mentally?

How do you remember things? What do you really like or dislike? Dissect every part of yourself into creative little sectors, and eventually the bigger picture starts to become a little clearer than before.”

And finally, “How would you sell someone on your passion?”

“You deserve to know yourself by means of creative expression. You, above everyone else, deserve to discover your own way of doing, thinking, and being,” said Tessa.

“It’s pretty terrifying to look at yourself and willingly take note of your personality, I know, but it’s so much better than living your life with other people telling you how to live your life. It’s so, so much more than what someone on the outside looking in can ever tell you.”

1 Comment

One Response to “A Passion for Creativity”

1. zacklee on August 13th, 2018 4:21 am

I read your article. It is interesting to read your article. Thanks for sharing.Williamjacket

• A Passion for Creativity

Arts And Entertainment

Competitors at NerdCon went hard

• Arts And Entertainment

Awards hopefuls: are any coming out this month?

• Arts And Entertainment

Grace Dane on her art and “The Cure”

• A Passion for Creativity

Arts And Entertainment

Many stars are born in “A Star is Born”

• A Passion for Creativity

Arts And Entertainment

25 Years and Still L-I-V-I-N’

• Campus Life

From the Heart: Reddies Donating Blood to Help Others

• A Passion for Creativity

Arts And Entertainment

Release your inner nerd: Legion of Nerds wants you

• A Passion for Creativity

Arts And Entertainment

Terror hits spa city as Sixth Annual HSHFF gears up

• A Passion for Creativity

Campus Life

Music from the Reddie heart: karaoke in the Reddie Café

• A Passion for Creativity

Arts And Entertainment

Dancing kings and queens: Maleek Washington at HSU

A Passion for Creativity