Stradiota and art therapy

Zoe Stradiota couldn’t live without art

Story by Rae Dinger, Student Reporter

Everyone has appreciated art in one form or another, whether it be a painting, a sculpture, a musical album, or digital art. Art can help express the deepest parts of ourselves, as well as have meaning that maybe we never intended, but that another person can relate to. To freshman innovative media major Zoë Stradiota, art is an important part of her everyday life.

“I’m passionate about art; all forms of it are beautiful to me,” Stradiota said, “It’s always been an important part of my life, and I believe it has the ability to help people channel their feelings into a physical form.

Not just making art, but observing it as well, has always been a form of therapy for me personally. My two favorite forms of art are abstract paintings and music.”

Art therapy is a form of psychotherapy, which encourages the act of self-expression through physical media such as painting, drawing, etcetera. Even something as simple as doodling within the margins of your papers during class can help calm someone down or help them focus.

When asked how she got into art, Stradiota replied, “I’ve always been in therapy for as long as I can remember, and I got into art that way because I thought it could be a healthy coping mechanism.”

“Art has definitely influenced my life,” Stradiota continued, “My major is a type of art, and that’s shaping my entire life at the moment. It’s determine what I’m doing for a career, and I get to be a part of creating art for the rest of my life, as well as get paid for it. Once I reach that goal, I’ll really be able to think ‘man, I’ve made it.’”

It’s a common dream to be able to do what you love as a career and have people support you for it, and for Zoë Stradiota, she’ll be able to do just that. The people in her life support her passion for art because they know how good it’s been for her and how it’s helped her.

“Anyone can get into art,” said Stradiota, “There’s such a wide selection of forms to get into. I guess you just have to find something you’re already interested in like music, drawing, or crafting, and turn it into something even more special for yourself. Something you’re proud of. And if you’re not actually into making art, you can always just observe and tune into other’s.”

Finally, I asked Stradiota how she would sell others on her passion for art.

“I feel like art sells itself. I think just informing people on the benefits of using art for therapy or just for fun would help people get into it and start experimenting,” she said.

Whether you view it in a museum, a show, or on your computer, art is all around you. It’s the buildings you walk in, the music you hear on the radio, the clothes you wear on your back. Art is one of the many activities shared across all cultures, and is something that transcends language barriers.

There are art pieces that are centuries old and have withstood the test of time, whose meanings are still being debated to this day. It’s easy to see why some people, such as Zoë Stradiota, are so passionate about it.