Write or wrong?

Revising your paper for organization

One thing that students definitely always need is advice on writing, and that’s what they got last week
when John McMans came to campus.

Story by Tiara Burgess.

One thing that students definitely always need is advice on writing, and that’s what they got last week when John McMans came to campus.

Story by Tiara Burgess, Student Reporter

Last Thursday, the Writing Center in McBrien hosted another workshop. The workshop was over “Revising your Paper for Organization”.

John McManus, senior English major, was the speaker for this presentation. McManus went over Revision and talked about what it means to revise one’s paper.

He used the A.R.M.S. as a way to explain to everyone what revision actually meant. A.R.M.S. stands for Add, Remove, Move, and Substitute because when revising a paper there are always certain words that are going to have to be added or removed.

Sometimes it helps to move the words around, but other times the words have to be substituted for a completely different word. “If your paper isn’t organized well, it’s not readable.” McManus said.

He also went into more depth with his topic by getting the audience to participate in a little activity. McManus showed three paragraphs that were out of order and the audience had to tell which one they thought came first, second, and third.

“When I started out writing, I was not very good at revising at all,” McManus said, “and when I finally sat down and took steps to do it, it made my writing 100 percent better and it’s something that I think a lot of people have issues with so I wanted to kind of help with that.”

The people that work with the writing center can assist anyone that needs help so don’t be shy because they are here to help and I’m sure they would love to see more students coming to them with any problems that they may have with their writing.