Peter and the Starcatcher

HSU Theatre’s newest production

The+cast+of+Starcatcher+included+Baleigh+Almond+of+Hot+Springs%2C+Anna+Brantley+of+White+Hall%2C+Aaron+Burnside+of+Hot+Springs%2C+Wyatt+Gunter+of+Sheridan%2C+Adrian%0AHinojosa+of+Hot+Springs%2C+LaDarius+Jamerson+of+Ft.+Smith%2C+Dakota+Mansfield+of+Benton%2C+Andrew+McBride+of+Benton%2C+Hannah+Mims+of+Fouke%2C+Cecil+Nicholson+of+Clinton%2C%0AColin+Perry+of+Texarkana%2C+Jacey+Russell+of+Morrilton%2C+Nahum+Sabay+of+Santiago%2C+Chili%2C+and+Ayanna+Williams+of+Lewisville.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Peter and the Starcatcher

The cast of Starcatcher included Baleigh Almond of Hot Springs, Anna Brantley of White Hall, Aaron Burnside of Hot Springs, Wyatt Gunter of Sheridan, Adrian
Hinojosa of Hot Springs, LaDarius Jamerson of Ft. Smith, Dakota Mansfield of Benton, Andrew McBride of Benton, Hannah Mims of Fouke, Cecil Nicholson of Clinton,
Colin Perry of Texarkana, Jacey Russell of Morrilton, Nahum Sabay of Santiago, Chili, and Ayanna Williams of Lewisville.

The cast of Starcatcher included Baleigh Almond of Hot Springs, Anna Brantley of White Hall, Aaron Burnside of Hot Springs, Wyatt Gunter of Sheridan, Adrian Hinojosa of Hot Springs, LaDarius Jamerson of Ft. Smith, Dakota Mansfield of Benton, Andrew McBride of Benton, Hannah Mims of Fouke, Cecil Nicholson of Clinton, Colin Perry of Texarkana, Jacey Russell of Morrilton, Nahum Sabay of Santiago, Chili, and Ayanna Williams of Lewisville.

Photo courtesy of HSU Theatre.

Photo courtesy of HSU Theatre.

Photo courtesy of HSU Theatre.

Story by Philis Wood, Student Reporter

A backstory to Peter Pan had audiences filled with anticipation as Peter and the Starcatcher opened at Henderson State University. High seas adventure and a shipwreck on Mollusk Island set the stage for a whimsical night filled with star stuff, pirates, mermaids, and identical-looking orphan boys.

The dramatic lighting effects on the ship Neverland, and the lush stage settings throughout the play held the audience spellbound. The cast did an excellent job in drawing in their audience to the point of one almost wanting to participate.

A delightful mix of fantastical costumes and exuberant humor held theatergoers’ attention and evoked howls of laughter. The merriment of this play was evident by the unique costume designs – which had flamboyant mermaids boosting coconut bras, grass skirts, and a lavish bejeweled golden mermaid gown.

The innocent looking but determined character of Molly quickly befriended the orphan boys and—in particular—one orphan boy named Peter. Molly’s and Peter’s fondness grew into a kiss and long fullness of each other that was not forgotten.

Molly’s father, Lord Astor, and the play’s antagonist, Black Stache had several transfixed moments of intensity where the two characters were locked nose to nose. Stache’s sidekick Smee kept the audience entertained with the two characters functioning as a hilarious duo.

Stache drew in the audience with his boisterous commands and high-spirited theatrical facial expressions that would make the most boring professor laugh. Peter’s pizzazz kept the audience riveted and culminated in a backflip like a high dive!

The enigmatic trunk holds center stage as it battles high seas and storms along with the characters.

The intriguing stage setting was augmented with mysterious jungle sounds and characters that mystically transformed. Every character was on cue and the diction mimicked a Broadway play.

The songs were pitch-perfect and the music made you feel like you were in a jungle or on a swaying ship. The play’s modern-day punch lines got more than a few gut-busting laughs.

All in all the play offers theatregoers a look into a magical night of enchantment with loads of laughter and big fun.