Jesse Roberts: business and pleasure

A student success story

Story by Tierra McCraney, Student Reporter

For some, the love of learning never ends. Formal education has different stopping points for different people, and a good majority stop at the bachelor’s degree point. Jesse Roberts, HSU alumna with a degree in accounting, decided not to make it her last stop. She continued her education as a graduate student studying business and administration and continues today.

Roberts chose her alma mater for grad school because it is close to her home in Hope. Another reason for the Reddie: the opportunity to have tuition paid for through a position as a graduate assistant at the multi-media learning center.

A master’s degree is a bit more demanding than your bachelor’s, with less hours being considered full time in most degree plans. People like Roberts decided the extra push was worth it to open up more doors in the future.

With a master’s Roberts would have more choices, while also earning the extra hours needed for her CPA (certified public accounting) license.

“I have learned so many different skills while in grad school,” Roberts said. “I have learned how to work with others and how to analyze cases which have helped me in everyday situations.”

Roberts said the most challenging part of being in graduate school is balancing school and work. To make it a little easier, counting on others can be a big help.

“Find a friend in each class that can help you or people that have taken the class before,” Roberts stated.

After graduate school, Roberts plans on moving to the Fort Worth area to find a job at a private company where she would have the opportunity to travel around the world. Good luck Jesse Roberts, Henderson believes in you.