Media outlets claim turf

Henderson wins big at ACMA

Just some of the awards that Star, Oracle, and HTV took home last week at the ACMA competition.

Photo by Ashley Smith.

Photo by Ashley Smith.

Story by Ayanna Williams, Student Reporter

On the morning of April 6, universities and colleges from all over Arkansas gathered in the Garrison Activity Center to take part in this year’s Arkansas College Media Convention.

Throughout the day, students took part in activities, as well as anticipated the results of this year’s competition. Junior mass media major and chief editor of the Oracle Pete Tubbs was one of these students.

“I was absolutely nervous about the submissions,” Tubbs stated. “ We barely got them in before deadline, and I was concerned that Henderson would be showed up by other schools on their own campus.”

Regardless of the anxiety coming with the turning in of submissions, Henderson’s Oracle and STAR yearbook ended up receiving eight rewards combined in a number of categories, which came as a relief to Tubbs.

“I honestly didn’t know if we were going to beat the other schools in anything, but I think we put in enough hard work to deserve them!”

Tubbs shows his appreciation for the staff who worked hard on the submissions. “…I couldn’t be more proud of the immense dedication that both the STAR and Oracle have put toward their respective work this year,” Tubbs stated.

Henderson has definitely made it’s mark during this year’s competition, and now the publications department can breathe a sigh of relief as their year of hard work comes to and end. “I think we established a presence,” Tubbs stated. “Now I’m relieved that we have something to show for the 17/18 year.”