Origins: A new classic

Jerry reviews “Assassin’s Creed Origins”

%E2%80%9CAssasin%E2%80%99s+Creed+Origins%E2%80%9D+scored+4.9+%2F+5+on+Jerry%E2%80%99s+scale.+
“Assasin’s Creed Origins” scored 4.9 / 5 on Jerry’s scale.

Image courtesy of Ubisoft.

Image courtesy of Ubisoft.

Opinion by Jerry Crowe, Student Reporter

Never will I look at Egypt’s history the same again! Ubisoft, known for creating the popular “Assassins Creed” series, puts the player in the shoes of Siwa’s last Medjay.

Bayek of Siwa is the first sign of the presence of assassins in history according to the Creed series. For those who do not know about the series “Assassins Creed” is a third-person open world video game taking place in crucial parts of history where assassins may or may not have had a presence.

“Assassins Creed Origins” takes the gamer from the Pyramids of Giza to the great gateway building in Memphis on a beautiful themed journey of revenge. Dropped into a violent world as a man on a mission to avenge his sons’ death, you must stain the sands of Egypt with anyone connected to this crime.

Ubisoft took the role play game component of the series and combines that aspect with a rewarding loot system as well as a fun new targeting system intensifying each fight. There are now four different types of bows that can add different strategies to how a player might handle situations.

Hunter bows can be charged to deal some damage from a mid to close range, while light bows are fast, yet sacrifice damage for speed. Predator bows are like the snipers of “Origins” seeing as a player can learn to slow time by holding down the button, which gives control of the trajectory of each arrow.

Warrior bows are the scattershot shotgun types of bows that devastate anyone willing to get into close combat with the player. When bows don’t cut it melee weapons are a plenty of diversity with weapons ranging from dual, regular, sickle swords, and scepters as well as spears to heavy blades and blunt weapons.

“Origins” seems to have kept the positive mechanics and done away with all of the annoyances of all prior games, which puts this “Assassins Creed” up there with the likes of the beginning of the Ezio storyline. Climbing the Pyramids of Giza is a fun random way to use the climbing mechanics due to the gorgeous views on the tip of each structure.

Sliding down the pyramids is just as entertaining as finally reaching the top. Imagine going Fred Flintstone down the side of such a historical structure.

My favorite aspect of this game is how diverse the map of this Along with new weapons and smoother mechanics the game has a rewarding gathering/crafting system improving on how the players’ stats like health and damage level up.

Hunting hippos maybe annoying, but how would taking down a hippo be easy? Ubisoft decided to add online aspects that sweeten the experience with avenging players who have died around the player as well as adding fun events such as fighting the Egyptian Gods themselves.

“Assassins Creed Origins” only pulled me in harder as I found new enemies linked to more and more enemies in this interconnected plotline starting the battle between the Assassins and Templars. Bayek is a very believable and well-crafted character, which makes revenge for his loss even sweeter every step of the way until you realize the true enemy.

“Assassins Creed Origins” deserves a 4.9 out of 5 in the history book of reviews. I could see no better Origins than Egypt to begin such an amazing series, so go and revisit the history of Siwa’s last Medjay.

Image courtesy of Ubisoft.