Gender inequality

Jae-Kur on when it started and the ongoing implications of it

Opinion by Jae-Kur Lockhart, Student Reporter

As kids, young ladies are typically subject to more responsibility than young men. They are forced to learn how to cook and clean while their counter parts have less of a workload in that regard.

“When I was younger, I remember having to clean up after dinner while the guys were allowed to go outside or go to the living room,” Rebekah Smith said. “The women even had to set the tables while the men lounged around.”

In some foreign areas, females infants were thrown into the streets or given away at birth while the male infants were praised, uplifted, and protected. In mannerisms such as that, it was based on the concept that males were able to continue the family name while females could not.

In my firm opinion, I would like to believe that the gender inequality period began back during the biblical times of Adam and Eve. Eve ate forbidden fruit just the same as Adam but who took all of the blame for that?

“I can say that there is a disparity in reference to the separation of respect and power among men and women,” Fernando Van Hook said.

Another point to highlight is the subject of women, men, and the difference in pay rates.

“Some people are truly oblivious to the difference in pay when it comes to women and men,” said Smith, “and at this point, if you do not see it, it is because you are choosing to ignore it.”

Women with full-time jobs still earn only about 77 percent of their male counterparts’ earnings. Does that percentage not astound you all?

Women also have a higher chance of being sexually assaulted. One in five women on U.S. college campuses have experienced sexual assault.

“While I prefer to remain anonymous, I have experienced sexual assault while on campus – not this one – but I feel like no one would’ve cared because I’m a girl.”

According to makers.com, one in three women worldwide have experienced either intimate partner violence or non-partner sexual violence in their lifetime.

As stated by Smith in the above paragraph, without acknowledging the issues, there is no way that there can be a feasible solution.

Have you ever experienced a gender inequality or know someone that has? If so, please write in and express your opinions.