Playing barbies at the cosmic level

Bunky on psychedelics and the state of government

Opinion by Bunky Raines, Student Reporter

“If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thro’ narrow chinks of his cavern.”

-William Blake

Do you ever sit around thinking, I’m just a consciousness inhabiting a body? I’m experiencing this plane of existence through my senses, but none of this shit is real.

This reality is only a construct of some higher spirit’s imagination, through which I’m connected to all other living beings. One day I’ll be ripped from this fragile vessel and have to deal with whatever reality comes next. Do you ever think that?

Yeah, me neither.

For untold eons, humans have taken psychedelics and found a passage to higher consciousness. It’s unfortunate that they have been demonized and ostracized by our society.

I think they’d cure the epidemic of tribalism and “group think” that plagues our culture: Democrats versus Republicans, men versus women, white versus black, gay versus straight, Christian versus Muslim, etcetera, etcetera.

I’d like to tell you a story, a lullaby to pacify you in those dark times when you feel empty and all alone in the world.

Once upon a time, a man took mushrooms and went to the beer store. I won’t say it was me, but I won’t say it wasn’t either.

As he handed the lady his cash, he was struck by the notion that the consciousness that drove him to hand her the money was the same consciousness that drove her to count out his change.

He realized they were one, that we’re all one. It’s like God cut himself into tiny pieces, put the pieces into clay dolls and is playing barbies at the cosmic level.

Looking at things from that perspective, one begins to think, if I’m a dick to someone, in a way, it’s like I’m being a d**k to myself. One can then develop a love and respect for all kinds of life.

I dislike our current system of government. The two party system, by its very nature, promotes separation. I say we scrap the whole thing. What do I advocate in its place? Shamanism.

That’s right. I’d like to see a return to the tried and true, a return to a method that existed for millennia before being cast out by those who oppose free thinking and unity.

Who would oppose such a thing besides those who are completely ignorant? Maybe those who would have us fight amongst ourselves rather than love one another.

Some may laugh at the concept, but put a room full of dudes on mushrooms in charge and watch how quickly decisions start being made for the good of humanity instead of for greed and personal gain.