Oh Snapchat, what have ye done? Has Snapchat screwed itself with the new update, or nah?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Many students are concerned with Snapchat’s current state. Logo courtesy of Snapchat.

Story by Jade Wolfe Copy Editor

Do you use Snapchat? Unless you’ve been hiding under a rock for the past five years, the answer is probably yes. 

Recently though the app is getting fierce criticism after a new update that changed the interface and the way you view friend’s stories and much more. 

According to Business Insider, “158 million people are using Snapchat every day,” and the average person opens the app 18 times a day. That last number is probably quite a bit higher for college students, which is why they seem to hate the “new” Snapchat. 

Sophomore Innovative Media student, Rylee Maxwell said, “it sucks, but to be honest I’ll still use it. I’ll just have to get use to it.” 

There are even instructions circulating on Facebook on how to change the app back to its pervious version. Macklaine Irby, a sophomore Health and Human Performance student knows that this fact is a fake. “That doesn’t work, I tried it. It went back to the previous version for like an hour, I even turned off my automatic updates.” 

So what is different about the app that has people tweeting, “R.I.P Snapchat”? The most notable change is the way users find and use their Stories feature. 

They are now on what is being called Friends page. The Friends page is where your sent and received snapchats from your friends are as well. 

When a friend that has added you back has uploaded a story it will show up next to their name in a circular thumbnail. That friend will be automatically pushed to the top of the list even if you haven’t sent a snap, or chat to them recently. 

Snapchat is aware of all the negative feedback and have their support team working nonstop to answer any and all questions. One spokesperson of the company said, “updates as big as this one can take a little getting used to, but we hope the community will enjoy it once they settle in.” 

What do you think? Are you okay with it, or is this update the Achilles heel of Snapchat? Only time will tell if this risk is worth it for the app in the long run.