Courting controversy: What does campus think about ‘The Last Jedi?’

Back to Article
Back to Article

“Star Wars: The Last Jedi” is one of the most controversial entries in the series.

Poster courtesty of TNS.

Poster courtesty of TNS.

Poster courtesty of TNS.

Story by Julie Young, Student Reporter

Throughout history, opinions have been known to separate us in to very distinct groups: People who support the president and the people who don’t. Those who prefer pineapples on their pizza, and those who think the very thought of fruit on pizza is evil.

People who drink pepsi, and the customers who wince when the waiter tells them they’re “out of Coke, is Pepsi ok?”

No opinions, however, have seemed as polarizing as the ones spawned by the latest installment of the “Star Wars” sequel saga, “The Last Jedi,” which Henderson’s Student Activities Board played last Friday and Sunday as part of the Spring 2018 Movie series.

With such a dedicated fanbase, opinions on “Star Wars” have always been strong. When the film was first screened in December, reviewers were singing praise in online articles and tweets, promising excitement to nervous fans and a refreshing twist on a story 40 years in the making.

The responses started to shift after the film’s wide release, though, when the movie was opened to the public. Suddenly, fans and newcomers alike either absolutely loved it or hated it with a great intensity. Either way, everyone had an opinion, and they all made it known on the internet.

“From what I’ve seen and read about it, it sorta seems like people are nit-picking it just to find something to be bitter about,” stated Rae Dinger, freshman, mass media major.

Reasons for the dislike, or hatred in some cases, have varied for a number of reasons, with people stating problems with the pacing, humor, Rian Johnson’s directing and writing, and storytelling in general as why they just couldn’t get in to “The Last Jedi.”

“I don’t really care if people want to hate it,” stated Tessa Walthour, freshman, english major, “but I think [they hated it] because nothing went as expected, and people’s theories and headcanons were crushed.”

“The Last Jedi” came just two years after 2015’s “The Force Awakens,” giving fans just enough time to speculate and form ideas about where they thought the new saga was headed. But upon finally viewing it, some fans were ultimately disappointed when the film didn’t cater to the plot points they’d imagined years before the movie was even complete.

“I loved “The Last Jedi” when I saw it, simply because it was different than what everyone expected,” stated Walthour, “seeing as the bad guy wasn’t redeemed, victory wasn’t a given, and Rey’s parents weren’t some big figure in this universe.”

When “The Force Awakens” came out, some fans had an issue with the way that installment just seemed to copy “Star Wars: A New Hope,” and didn’t bring anything new to the story. Now, there are people criticizing Johnson’s film for straying too far from what a “Star Wars” movie should be.

Whether fans loved “The Last Jedi” or completely disliked it, it remains the last “Star Wars” film Carrie Fisher, who portrayed Leia Organa and passed in December 2016, will ever appear in.

“I thought it was a really great last moment for Carrie Fisher, whose role in the series has always been something amazing,” stated Walthour. “It was nice to see such a well-executed send off for her.”