A look back

Story by Pete Tubbs, Sports Editor

When it comes to college foot- ball in the GAC, the Reddies have quite the good standing. While fans prepare for another record breaking year, they should reminisce on the years past.

Admittedly, 2011 wasn’t one of the strongest years for the Reddies. They had a 6-4 win loss record, as they were taken down by Central Arkansas (30-14), Southwest Okla- homa (17-13), Delta State (34-31) and South Alabama (28-3).

Overall statistics from 2011 show a 275 point count. There were also 670 total plays with a complete offensive yardage gain of 3269.

There was a marked improve- ment in the coming year as 2012 saw the Reddies finish the season with a 10-1 win-loss record with the only defeat coming from Mis- souri Western (45-21). Their re- cord brought the Reddies to the top of the GAC standings at the end of the year.

The team left the season with a massive 554 points for the year. A total of 752 total plays were re- corded with an offensive yard gain total of 5685 yards.

The Reddies continued to dom- inate in 2013 with an 11-1 win-loss record with St. Cloud State, nar- rowly taking the team down in a late November game which saw the Reddies lose 40-35. The 2013 GAC saw the Reddies take the top spot for the second year in a row.

A total score of 639 points was recorded for the team in 2013. The total offensive yards gained stood at 6917, more than double the count for 2011.

Ballin with the girls

2014 saw a slight drop in suc- cess for HSU football, finishing the year with a 8-2 record in the third slot in the GAC. Harding and OBU beat the Reddies with the re- spective game scores being 41-20 and 28-24.

The total point count for the team for 2014 was 466 points, a bit less than the previous couple of years, but still more than 2011. The total offensive yardage count for the year was 5467.

Last year the Reddies were back with a vengeance with a win-loss record of 13-1 and leaving the sea- son at the top of the GAC stand- ings for the third time in 4 years. The single loss was against East Central University at 35-28.

The score count from 2015 stood at 363 points with an of- fensive gain count of 4516 yards. Henderson stands out from the pack when it comes to consistency in the conference.

According to head coach Scott Maxfield, the secret to the ram– pant success of the team has been “good players and outstanding support from administration.” In reference to the GAC predictions that HSU will finish at the top of the heap again this year, Maxfield said, “We take it one game at a time, pre-season polls don’t really matter.”

Needless to say, 2016 looks to be a banner year for Reddie Football, and campus certainly has lots of things to look forward to. The Reddies will don their uniforms for the first time this year on Thursday, and they expect the fans to be there.