Ballin with the girls

Story by Rebekah Teel, Student Reporter

The Reddies volleyball coach sees 2016 as a new year with hopes of winning a national championship, featuring four returning players.

“I am excited; a new year always brings this renewed hope to win a national championship and that’s always fun,” said Kristee Porter, coach and UCLA alumni. She joined the Lady Reddies as head coach in 2015.

The only returning senior on the 14-player roster, Jessie Jacoby, said she is “excited for the season to begin.”

Henderson will launch its season on Sept. 2 at the Tampa Classic in Flori- da, and will return to Arkansas to play Central Baptist College in Conway on Sept. 6. Arkadelphia fans can get their first glimpse of the team in action with five home games during the annual Bettye Wallace Invitational Sept. 9-10 at the Duke Wells Center. The tournament honors longtime former coach Wallace.

On Friday, Sept. 9, the Reddies volleyball team faces Missouri Southern State University at 11:30 am, followed by a game against Northern State University at 7 pm. The next day, also at the Wells Center, HSU faces Drury and Pittsburg State at 11:30 am and 4:30 pm.

The team’s first Great American Conference game of the year pits them against Harding at 7 pm on Sept. 13 at Wells Center.
Jacoby ended the 2015 season by earning All-GAC Honorable Mention honors, as selected by the conference’s volleyball coaches. The Gilmer, Texas middle blocker-outside hitter started all 29 matches for Henderson last year and led the team with 351 kills, recording 10-plus kills in 15 matches.

Alongside Jacoby will be juniors Vio- let Williams and Sydney Skelton, as well as sophomore Gabby Ginapp.

Skelton, a libero from Jonesboro, Arkansas, played 28 of the 29 matches during the 2015 season, led the team in digs with 363, and produced 19 service aces and 30 set assists. Skelton trans- ferred from Tyler Junior College in Tyler, Texas mainly due to coach Porter.

“I came here for Coach Porter. She really knows her stuff,” Skelton said.

Williams ended the 2015 season earning academic All-GAC honors. The Nevada, Texas middle blocker played 28 of 29 matches, and had 132 kills and a .146 hitting percentage. Williams is excited to share the court with her new teammates.

“I feel that with all of the new play- ers we can definitely change our pro– gram around,” Williams said.

Ginapp, a 6-3 middle blocker, played 26 of 29 matches. The Round Rock, Texas native topped off the 2015 season by leading the team with a .244 attack percentage, which totaled 138 kills and also led the team in blocks with 40. Be- ing in a leadership role as a sophomore can be tough, However, Ginapp is ready to help her teammates. “Being a leader is something I still struggle with, but I am getting more comfortable and ready to help and take charge,” Ginapp said.

The Reddies volleyball team believes that preparation is key to a successful season. “We have been very hardwork- ing and structured during practices,” Jacoby said.

“We spend basically our whole day on the court. We get here at 6 am and don’t leave until 9 pm,” Williams said.

Reddie fans can come to support the 4 returners along with their new teammates during the Bettye Wallace Invitational on Friday, Sept. 9 at Duke Wells Center.