Oracle Online

Great American golf

Story by Tyler Freeman, Student Reporter

Henderson men’s golf team claimed its fourth straight Great American Conference championship on Tuesday in Hot Springs and the women’s golf team finished second. 

The tournament was held at Hot Springs Country Club, Sunday April 23 – Tuesday April 25. The men played the Arlington course and the women played the Park course. 

“We fought hard for this one,” Forrest Schultz, director of golf, said. “It’s awesome to know that we are doing things the right way, and we are getting good players after good players leave.” 

On Sunday, the men posted a team score of 293 to trail Arkansas Tech by five strokes. The Reddies were led on day one by Tait Darby with a 72, followed by Price Murphee with a 73. Drew Greenwood and Nick Shapiro both shot 74 to round out the scoring. 

On Monday, the men posted a team score of 276 to lead Arkansas Tech by 8 strokes heading into the final day. Shapiro led the Reddies on day two, tying the GAC tournament single day record of 65, 7 under par. Greenwood followed with a 69, Murphee shot 70, and Cameron McRae shot 72 to round out day two for the Reddies. 

On Tuesday, the final day of the tournament, the Reddies turn in a score of 289 to edge Arkansas Tech by four strokes. Shapiro led the Reddies on the final day with a 70, followed by Murphee with a 71, Greenwood with a 73, and McRae rounded out the scoring on the final day with a 75. 

Shapiro’s three round total of 209, 7 under par, earned him medalist honors for the lowest individual score. 

“It mean’s everything,” Nick Shapiro, freshmen golfer, said. “I am speechless right now. I have worked so hard to get here with all of these guys.” 

With the victory, the men’s team earns an automatic bid to the NCAA Midwest/Central Regional, to be held May 8-10 at Awarii Dunes in Axtell, Nebraska. 

On the women’s side, Henderson finished runner up to Arkansas Tech, and Sarah Wright finished third overall. 

On Sunday, the women posted a team score of 307 to trail Arkansas Tech by five strokes. Wright led the Reddies with a one under 71, followed by Hanna Brauburger with a 77, Taylor Loeb shot 78, and Luisa Gartmann rounded the scoring out with an 81. 

On Monday, the women posted a team score of 302 to trail Arkansas Tech by two heading into the final day. Loeb and Gartmann led the Reddies on day two both posting 73, with Wright and Brauburger rounding the scoring out by shooting 78. 

On Tuesday, the women posted a team score of 312 and fell to Arkansas Tech by four strokes. Wright, Gartmann, Brauburger, and Allison Davis all posted identical 78s. 

This was the third consecutive year for the Reddies to finish as runners-up at the conference tournament.