Hollywood Shuffle

Back to Article
Back to Article

Hollywood Shuffle

On the domino effect caused by the rampant sexual misconduct of some of Tinseltown’s biggest stars. Opinion by Kara Amato, Student Reporter

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






The first man to accuse Kevin Spacey of sexual misconduct went public on Oct. 29: actor Anthony Rapp said Spacey made sexual advances when he was 14 and Spacey was 26. 

A little more than a week later, following a series of other claims of groping and sexual harassment made by various men, the actor was cut out of a major film and replaced with Christopher Plummer. He was fired from Netflix’s original series, “House of Cards,” for which Spacey had previously scored five Emmy nominations. 

He was also removed from a planned Gore Vidal biopic in which he was expected to star for Netflix. It’s a staggering turnaround for Spacey, 58, a two-time Oscar winner and Tony winner. 

At a news conference in Boston, Heather Unruh alleged that the Oscar-winning actor assaulted her son last year when he was 18. Unruh claimed that her then-18-year-old son met Spacey, and the actor bought him “drink after drink.” 

Unruh’s son had told the actor he was of legal age to consume alcohol, but, his mother said, “whether he was over 21 or not, Kevin Spacey had no right to sexually assault him. There was no consent.” 

According to Unruh’s statement, Spacey “stuck his hand inside my son’s pants and grabbed his genitals,” and despite her son’s efforts to extricate himself, “the violation continued.” 

Unruh then claimed that Spacey was pressuring her son to accompany him to a private after-hours party to continue drinking. The encounter ended only when the actor made his way to the bathroom and a stranger approached Unruh’s son and inquired if he was OK before advising him to run. 

After leaving the restaurant, Unruh said that her son ran to his grandmother’s house where he woke his sister and – together – called their mother at her Boston-area home. Unruh arrived in Nantucket the next day. 

“Nothing could have prepared my son for how that sexual assault would make him feel as a man,” Unruh said. “It harmed him and it cannot be undone.” 

Now, after Spacey’s misguided attempt at an apology to Rapp, his denial of other allegations, and additional claims from just last year under investigation, some doubt he will ever be able to work again. 

Comedian Louis C.K. is among the latest group of celebrities to face such allegations. On Nov. 9, the New York Times reported that five women, including writers and comedians, had accused him of sexual misconduct, with most alleging the comedian had masturbated in front of them. The next day, he admitted that all of the stories were true. 

Louis C.K. had already been pulled from the lineup of an HBO comedy show and had canceled the premiere for his movie “I Love You, Daddy,” which was ultimately shelved. On Friday, Netflix said it would not produce his next comedy special. 

With more reports coming out on additional Hollywood figures, such as Harvey Weinstein and George Takei, there has been a surge in reports against famous, even beloved celebrities. Since Bill Cosby’s numerous rape and sexual assault cases, more victims seem encouraged to come forward. 

At this point, it seems it’s only a matter of time before even more celebrities’ pasts come to light.