Are you Reddie for midterms?

Clover Wagner

An “Un-study” spot in Huie Library.

With midterms approaching in the coming weeks, students need to prepare their notes and begin the process of studying for their upcoming examinations. Though this time can be anxiety inducing, there are ways to reduce the stress that comes with taking midterms. Here are some tips and tricks to help you prepare.

What resources does Henderson provide?

Henderson has many free resources here on campus that people do not often take advantage of. Huie Library has study rooms, tutoring, research coaching, as well as having an extensive library of text to aid students in their learning.They also have desks scattered around the area to work in a quiet environment.Personally, I like working in their study rooms with my friends; that way, we can quiz each other between assignments while also keeping each other company in a secluded area so as to not disturb others. The study rooms are on the first and second floors and close 30 minutes before the library. Hours of operation are 7:30am to midnight Monday through Thursday, 7:30am to 5:00pm on Friday, noon to 8:00pm on Saturday, and 2:00pm to 10:00pm on Sunday.

If you ever need a break, the Huie Library also offers un-study stations in front of the green room. They have themed activities where students can sit and do a coloring page or play sudoku. Junior Studio Art Major Kelley Whiteside advises you to “Study, but don’t stress too much because it’ll only make the situation worse.”

The writing center here on campus can also aid in one-on-one tutoring. Suppose you have a writing-based midterm or any big papers due. In that case, you can go to the writing center, where they can help strengthen your papers or give you tips on how to improve your writing overall. I have had professors give bonus points for going to the writing center, which could be applied to any assignment. If you have this opportunity, take advantage of it. Located in McBrien hall in room 108, students can find help between the hours of 8:00am to 4:00pm then 6:00pm to 8:00pm Monday through Thursday and 8:00am to 3:00pm on Friday. The center is closed on weekends.

What else can you do?

Reaching out to your teacher if you have a question is always encouraged; their office hours exist for a reason.

Discovering what studying method works best for you is also crucial in ensuring information is being retained in the best way. Some people are visual learners, some are hands-on, and some learn best through auditory methods.

Getting together with friends and classmates to quiz each other in engaging ways can help the information stick better. It would help if you tried to get in touch with tutors through the library, disability resource center, or your teacher recommending someone.

Most importantly, while studying for your midterms is important, your mental health comes first. Find ways to unwind and destress at the end of the day so you will be well-rested for your tests. “Get lots of sleep before your tests,” says Brooks Faulkner, a Junior Graphic Design Major. Dorms have quiet hours during midterms and finals weeks so students can stay well-rested and have quiet study time from the comfort of their own homes.

Good luck!