Cardinals fly over the Wave

Late night meet pits Incarnate Word against Red Wave, Cardinals prevail

Donovan Lee

Red Wave swimmer in a warm up against Incarnate Word.

Macayla Newsom, Assitant Sports Editor

ARKADELPHIA, AR– After an unexpected transportation issue, the Henderson State Red Wave (1-1) hosted the University of Incarnate Word Cardinals in a homecoming week matchup. The Friday night meet was the second home stand of the season for HSU.

The meet started off with the men’s and women’s relay races, as both Red Wave teams finished in second place with times of 1:33:97 and 1:50:30, respectively. However, another one of HSU’s women’s relay teams, composed of three of the four swimmers from the aforementioned race, avenged the second place finish to cap off the evening in the 200 meter freestyle relay with a time of 1:39:53. Freshman Kiara Pozvai competed in four races on the night, in which she finished atop of the podium in three of them (50 free, 100 free, 200 free).

On the men’s side, sophomore Lamar Taylor, a native of Freeport, Bahamas, also swam in multiple races that evening, including both relays and individual competitions. Taylor won two first-place finishes of his own. Other men’s finishes for the night included third and fourth place times from Stephen Jones and Marcus Hernandez. Freshman women’s swimmer Aimee Miller, who swam anchor leg for the relay team, captured a first place finish in the 100 backstroke that added to the women’s team score against the Division 1 Cardinals’ swim team from Texas.

Unfortunately for the Red Wave, the transportation issues of the Cardinals did not stop their engines from trudging on that night, as Incarnate Word was able to secure both men’s and women’s victories, 124-81 and 122-83, respectively. The Red Wave will be back in action Oct. 22 at 6 p.m. against rival Ouachita Baptist in the first edition of Battle of the Ravine in the pool for the 2021-22 season.