Reddies keep the ‘Dogs on a leash

Bulldogs keep it close, but Reddies prevail 3-1

Donovan Lee

Reddies take down SWOSU in a tough 3-1 victory.

Macayla Newsom, Assitant Sports Editor

ARKADELPHIA, AR– The Reddies fought hard in the game against the Bulldogs on October 7th. Henderson’s series record against Southwestern Oklahoma State was 4-11 entering the match. Henderson and SWOSU have met yearly since 2001, with Henderson winning two matches in a row. SWOSU won every match after that until 2018, as Henderson started making a comeback. The Reddies have beaten the Bulldogs twice with a match score of 3-1 in the last few years. 

The first set began with a point for the Reddies, followed by four points for the Bulldogs. Despite this set’s rocky start, the Reddies took the set victory with a seven-point scoring sequence followed shortly by a run of four. Halfway through the first set, Reddies junior outside hitter Mya Robinson scored a service ace, making the score 20-10. Robinson ended this close set with a kill to give HSU advantage 25-23. 

Set two was a replica of the prior set with Henderson also taking the victory by two, 26-24, after a tough fight against the Bulldogs. The set began with the Reddies scoring six in a row to take a 7-4 lead. After this streak, the Bulldogs took the set lead until the Reddies turned it around at the end making it two sets up for the Reddies and a chance to sweep the Bulldogs.

Robinson, sophomore middle blocker Kaitlyn Sykes, and junior outside hitter Violeta Mendoza Quintana all made several impressive kills in the third set. Despite their hard work, the Bulldogs snagged the third set to keep the match alive with a score of 25-22. 

After their defeat in the third set, the Reddies quickly turned it around with several point streaks, including seven kills by Mendoza Quintana. The Bulldogs took the lead early into the set, but midway through, the Reddies took the lead and never lost it. The Reddies won the match set, 25-20.

Junior libero Makenzie Thoman finished the match with 30 digs, Madison Hatt had 25 assists followed by Taylor Scalzi with 20 of her own. Mendoza Quintana made 48 attacks, Robinson made 41 attacks, and Christiane Uzoh made 29 attacks. Although the Reddies claimed the victory, the stat sheet shows the match was closer than the final score states.

The next match for the Reddies will be against NWOSU on Oct. 8th at 6:30 p.m at Henderson in the Duke Wells Center. Henderson and NWOSU have been competing since 2013 and so far the series is tied at three games apiece.