Henderson senior takes on the work force

Phoebe Darley

headshot of Keely Wells

In four short months, Henderson State University seniors will be receiving their diplomas if they are graduating in December. The final semester of seniors’ college career is an important one. This is the semester students do their internships, fine-tune their resumes, and for some, they already have jobs lined up after graduation. But some are already working jobs in their chosen fields.

Keely Wells is a senior Business Administration and Accounting major at Henderson State University and is a part of the small number of students who are working in their chosen field before graduation. Wells works at Grove & Company CPAs as a staff accountant in Sheridan, Arkansas. On a daily basis, Wells does “monthly bookkeeping, weekly payroll, sales tax payments, estimated payments, input tax information for tax returns, and answers client emails.”

Wells found this position when she was actually looking for her senior internship, “I actually posted on facebook that I was looking for an accounting position somewhere for an internship. My now boss commented and gave me an interview. I was hired and they offered me a full time position in July after I had interned for a couple of months.”

Wells works full days on Tuesday and Friday and half days on Wednesday. “My boss is very understanding of me still being in school and let’s me do schoolwork while I am at work. I have deadlines on all of my work duties, just like my school work, and as long as everything gets done, I am fine.”

Wells was very shocked when she was offered the full time position when she was only looking for an internship, “I now have a full time job doing what I love and I have not even received my diploma yet.” After she receives her diploma in December, Wells will still hold the same position at the company but will be focusing mainly on tax returns since it will be closer to tax season as a full time accountant.