Stuck in the middle

SAU takes series over HSU 2-1, after winning games one and three of the weekend

Reddie Athletics

Spencer Taack tied his career-high of nine strikeouts in game two of the series with SAU.

Donovan Lee, Sports Editor / HTV Station Manager

In the second series of the season, the Henderson State Reddies (14-10, 10-8 GAC) and the Southern Arkansas Muleriders (17-6) met with both teams in the midst of winning streaks.

With Henderson State entering the series on a four-game winning streak and Southern Arkansas on an eight-game one, taking the upper hand early was necessary for ceasing the momentum of the opponents. The Reddies’ rapid-fire slugger Joe Myers rewrote the history books, becoming the all-time runs leader at HSU, after recording the 127th of his career.

HSU initiated that test of strength after muscling a three-run blast over the fence, credited to freshman infielder Kaden Argenbright. Add on a bases loaded walk to send Nick Jones across home plate and a solo shot from Joe Myers, and the Reddies accumulated a 5-0 lead to begin game one of the series.

Southern Arkansas made good use of their third inning, putting three runs onto their score. They forced a tie game in the fifth inning after bringing home another two runners, tying the game at five a piece.

Henderson State’s Bryson Haskins converted on a plate appearance for an RBI-single to put the Reddies up one heading to the sixth inning. However, SAU capitalized on their opponents’ errors and regained the lead going into the seventh, ahead of HSU 9-6. That was all she wrote in the first of three games with the Muleriders claiming it by three.

Battling back in the Saturday afternoon doubleheader, the Reddies were scoreless through six innings before amounting three runs in the seventh to complete a comeback victory over SAU, 3-2. Greyson Stevens went four-for-four at the plate, accounting for one of the Reddies’ runs scored.

HSU pitcher Spencer Taack avenged the Reddies’ pitching woes from the Friday night game, as he tied his career high throwing nine K’s in game two. His performance earned him GAC Pitcher of the Week honors.

SAU took off in the first inning of game three with a six-run frame, making it difficult for their opponents to answer the challenge. HSU did put three runs on the board, but with another two from the Muleriders, the deficit became insurmountable for Henderson, who fell in game three, 8-3.

The Reddies return to the diamond when they face Arkansas Tech in a weekend series April 10-11.