Malice in Magnolia

Ranked Muleriders own Reddies in 3-0 sweep

Reddie Athletics

Haley Spicer, Sports Reporter

MAGNOLIA, AR- The Reddies (10-20, 7-13 GAC), who have won seven of their last eight games, faced the 25th-ranked Muleriders of Southern Arkansas (13-6, 10-4 GAC)  for the first time this season. With sophomore catcher Abbie Moore on a six-game hitting streak, Henderson looked to knock off the Muleriders and state their claim as a force to be reckoned ahead of the postseason.

Henderson jumped on the scoreboard first, after a single to right field brought home Kaitlyn O’Quinn in the first inning. SAU loaded the bases several times, allowing them to score four runs in the bottom of the first.

SAU tagged on another run late in the second, extending their lead to 5-1. SAU held HSU scoreless for four frames despite the Reddies having several hits, including Moore extending her streak for another game.

The fourth inning was disastrous for Henderson State’s fielding with SAU scoring seven runs on seven hits, including a pair of back-to-back home runs.

The Reddies’ attempt at a comeback in the fifth inning didn’t have enough fuel behind it as they recorded two runs but lost game one due to the five-inning run rule, 12-3.

Game 2 began scoreless but competitive, with both teams keeping one another at bay through the first two innings. Consecutive walks helped SAU add three runs to the board for inning number three, but HSU remained scoreless.

A four-hit fourth inning from SAU extended the lead to 6-0midway through game two. Henderson State was shut out offensively as SAU kept adding on runs taking the lead to 7-0. Game two resulted in a similar ending for the Reddies, falling to the Magnolia visitors in a 7-0 shutout.

On day two of the weekend series, SAU continued their dominance in the final game of the series, with all of their scoring production occurring in their first two innings at the plate.

SAU did most of their damage in the bottom of the second inning scoring nine runs. The Reddies couldn’t get anything going in the first two innings as they remained hitless. 

Only two batters from HSU recorded hits for the afternoon, including the league’s hits leader Kaitlyn O’Quinn. Abbie Moore’s hitting streak ended at eight games as she couldn’t connect in the Saturday afternoon outing.

Reddie pitchers Mallory Brewer, Leann Beasley, and Savannah Carrigan were each credited with a loss on the mound in the series.

Henderson State will face rival Ouachita Baptist on April 6.