Sweep around their own front door

Softball claims first series sweep in three years, taking out NWOSU

Reddie Athletics

Mallory Brewer threw nine strikeouts in a game against SWOSU, leading HSU to their first series sweep in three years.

Haley Spicer, Sports Reporter

ARKADELPHIA, AR- On a six-game losing streak, Henderson State (5-16) sought out a collection of wins to give them a boost in their rigid 2021 season.

Northwestern scored first to take a 2-0 lead off a passed ball and single. Errors on HSU including a hit pitch and fielder’s choice helped to get NWOSU on base. Northwestern Oklahoma State was the Reddies’ chance to get back on the good foot.

Henderson failed to convert early on, leaving two runners stranded on base after multiple ground outs. NWOSU converted in their first plate appearance, up 2-0 heading into the bottom of the second inning.

The Reddies managed to get on the scoreboard following a two-RBI home run by sophomore shortstop Ashlyn Taylor, her first homer of the season, with Czoey White preceding Taylor around the bases.

Henderson State’s Mallory Brewer, who had a big time performance on the mound with nine strikeouts in the game, limited NWOSU to a single hit, leaving the game tied after three innings of action.

HSU scored two more runs to take the lead, 4-2. An infield fly by Abbie Moore and a bunt by Bre Jones that resulted in a NWOSU fielding error brought Moore and Monica Monreal across home plate for Henderson.

The Reddies defense sealed the deal for game one. They came up huge as NWOSU went 0-3 at bat in the seventh, giving HSU a 4-3 victory in game one.

Game 2

NWOSU got on the board quickly in game two, scoring first in the second inning taking a one point lead. Henderson State responded with a Kailey Reese single, along with Czoey White being walked after being hit by a pitch, and a double from Taylor Sledd that brought in two runs.

A double play, credited to the Reddies’ infield, allowed HSU to maintain the lead. Addie Jordan’s single extended said lead. With little action happening the remainder of the game, that was all she wrote. Henderson State took a commanding 2-0 series lead after a 4-1 victory in game 2.

NWOSU, looking to get a win out of the series, jumped out ahead of HSU 2-0 to begin. The early lead plagued them once more, as an energized Reddies squad crushed the aspirations of the visitors from Oklahoma, defeating the Rangers 11-5 and completing the series sweep, giving HSU their first series win of this kind in three years.