In full bloom

Blossoms win series 2-1, Reddies get first conference win of season

Tessa

Reddies get first conference win of the season against UAM.

Haley Spicer, Sports Reporter

Coming off of a series versus 19th-ranked Angelo State, Reddies softball (1-8, 0-3 GAC) needed to get that first win against a conference opponent. Their next targets were the Blossoms of Arkansas-Monticello (1-3).

The first of a three-game weekend series began with no action through one inning. It was not until Reddies third baseman Addie Jordan recorded the first hit of the game that mistakes from UAM put the runner in scoring position. Jordan was sent across home plate off a Monica Monreal RBI-double.

The swings began to connect for both teams from the second inning on. Effective fielding left batters stranded on base in the top and bottom of the inning. Henderson State’s defense even came up with a huge double-play on a UAM single.

The Blossoms went into full bloom late in the game. UAM dominated in the fifth and sixth innings with a combined eight runs, including one home run in each inning to take the first game by a score of 9-1.

In the second game of the Saturday doubleheader, Mallory Brewer worked on the mound for Henderson State. The junior pitcher from El Dorado went through six innings, but only struck out two batters in the 25 she faced. UAM scored a run in the second and third innings to take a 2-0 lead that spanned two whole frames before another run sent the Blossoms up 3-0 in the bottom of the sixth.

Thanks to Morgan Reeves, the Reddies’ freshman first baseman from Frisco, Texas, and her power hitting, HSU would avoid the shutout in game two courtesy of a solo shot out of Alvy Early Field, ending in a Blossoms 3-1 win and a 2-0 day for UAM.

A Sunday afternoon special capped off the weekend in Monticello. This time around, things looked up for HSU head coach David Martinez and the visiting team from Arkadelphia.

Confidence exuded from the bats of Henderson State, mainly from freshman contributors, in the final game of the series to produce a three-run second inning. Freshman third baseman Addi Jordan crossed home plate twice, while freshman catcher Kaitlyn O’Quinn performed well at the plate, going three for four with an RBI. On the mound, first-year pitcher Leann Beasley got the win, bringing her season record to 2-1.

HSU will return to Dee White Field for the Battle of the Ravine doubleheader with Ouachita Baptist on March 9.