Bishop Robert G. Rudolph Jr.: Former Reddie, forever servant

Bishop Robert G. Rudolph Jr.

Bishop Rudolph delivers a message to a congregation.

Former Reddie, Bishop Robert G. Rudolph Jr., was appointed on Feb. 4 by Gov. Asa Hutchinson to join the recently expanded Arkansas State University System Board of Trustees. Upon Henderson State University’s merge into the ASU School System, Rudolph and fellow Reddie Steve Eddington of Benton are to provide perspectives that represent their alma mater as well as the system as a whole.

“In this position, I will make it my duty to give back to so many who have supported and encouraged me over the years,” Rudolph said.

Rudolph received a Bachelor of Arts degree in political science from Henderson in 1990. During this time, he served as student body president, which later aided his work in government.

“I was blessed to develop a great relationship with Dr. Charles Dunn, who at that time was the president of Henderson and one of my professors,” Rudolph said. “He really helped to mentor me in the study of government.”

Rudolph has over 30 years of experience working within the government. He served as a clerk for the Arkansas General Assembly, a congressional aide, and a special assistant to the Governor of Arkansas. Rudolph has even participated in the White House Roundtable of African American Faith Leaders.

“Our campus employee and student makeup is diverse, so it’s appropriate that the Board of Trustees be reflective of our constituents,” Rudolph said.

The Bishop is a recipient of an honorary Doctorate of Divinity. This year, Rudolph will receive a master of public administration degree from the University of Texas at El Paso. He currently resides in Bryant with his wife Michelle Parham Rudolph who he has been married to since 2003.

“Service must be first and foremost,” Rudolph said. “We are not to be served, but to be instruments of service to the world.”

His Excellency has 33 years of pastoral experience. Rudolph is currently the Adjutant General of the Church of God in Christ, Inc., and Jurisdictional Bishop of the St. Maarten Reheboth Ecclesiastical Jurisdiction.

“Quite frankly, it was not something that I pursued,” Rudolph said. “Presiding Bishop Charles E. Blake prayerfully thought that my consecration to the Office of Bishop would allow me greater authority to assist him.”

Bishop Rudolph serves as Chief Minister of Protocol for the Church of God in Christ and assists the Presiding Bishop in directing the National Adjutancy. He was assigned as a Jurisdictional Bishop to “provide executive and spiritual leadership to countries and ministries in the eastern Caribbean.”

Additionally, Rudolph has assisted in the consecration of Bishops and has been given the distinct honor of announcing the apostolic procession at ceremonies across the country and the world. Rudolph was elected president of the historic 2014 Episcopal Class by his peers, which was the largest class of Bishops to be consecrated at one time in the history of the church.

“Public service is important to me,” Rudolph said. “I’m very humbled and grateful for the opportunity Governor Hutchinson has given me to serve my alma mater and the entire ASU System.”

His Excellency believes that his pastoral experience will provide a unique perspective for helping students of Henderson and the entire ASU System.

“It’s been a tough year and half of challenges, but I’m excited about the future of Henderson, as well as the ASU System,” Rudolph said. “I’m confident our best days are ahead.”