Struggles continue at SAU

Henderson’s slump continues after loss in additional game

Donovan Lee, Sports Editor / HTV Station Manager

On Feb. 27, the program announced that they have added a new game to the schedule. The game will be a matchup between the Reddies and Southern Arkansas. The competition would take place in Magnolia on Feb. 1 at 6 pm.

In compliance with the GAC’s scheduling policy, the game will be considered non-conference. For more on the GAC scheduling rules for 2021, you can visit the Reddie Athletics website at hsusports.com.

Looking to bounce back from their Jan. 30 defeat to Harding and avoid a two-game skid since their return to action, Henderson State hit the road for their newest addition to the schedule, another edition of their matchup with Southern Arkansas (SAU). Instead, they wanted to duplicate their victory against the Muleriders in their home opener at the start of the 2021 season, in which they defeated SAU, 93-84.

The Muleriders took off early in the duel, outscoring HSU 22-13 in the first quarter, and never looked back. Both teams realized early that perimeter shooting would not be the key to winning this game, as each squad went 3 for 17 (17.6%) from three-point range.

Nevertheless, SAU remained consistent in free-throw shooting the entire game, shooting over 50% every quarter (22-30, 73% FT shooting for the game). Their remarkable shooting allowed for them to outscore the Reddies not only from the charity stripe but also from the field in fast break points (23) and bench points (45).

Henderson State saw little action from their emerging star, sophomore guard Ashley Farrar, as she contributed just five points, two rebounds, and three assists before fouling out in just ten total minutes of playing time. The elimination of Farrar’s scoring potential gave way to fellow second year teammates, guard Sonni Martin (15 points, 6 rebounds) and forward Tamia Templeton (12 points, 13 rebounds).

Even Martin and Templeton’s double figures could not get the Reddies over the hump in this one, as SAU added to their win column by defeating HSU, 69-53. The Reddies travel to Arkansas Tech on Feb. 4, hoping to avoid extending their losing streak even further.