Volleyball Does Some “Networking”

Reddies Win Season-Opening Match Over SAU, 3-1

Misty Morris

(Picture from 2019 season) Reddies’ Middle Blocker Bree Sanders in action.

Donovan Lee, Sports Editor

ARKADELPHIA, AR- While most sports have only been on hiatus for ten months or less, Reddies Volleyball has been out of play for over a year. Since the sport is usually played in the Fall semester, the ladies have not played a game since 2019.

To open their 2021 season, Henderson State (1-0) hosted Southern Arkansas (0-1) in a Tuesday night matchup at the Duke-Wells Center. The Reddies looked different since some of their stars from their previous season have graduated, like Outside Hitter Courtney Bolf and Middle Blocker Adrianna Hartmann. Rest assured, HSU did return some major contributors like junior Libero MaKenzie Thoman, senior Middle Blocker Bree Sanders, and junior Setter Taylor Scalzi.

Outside hitter Violeta Mendoza Quintana, the Reddies’ junior transfer out of New Mexico Military Institute, got things started for HSU with a kill and service ace. Mendoza Quintana’s efforts were responded to by the Muleriders, and both teams went back and forth before HSU used a 4-0 run, spurred on by the returning junior outside hitter Mya Robinson, to propel them ahead of SAU, 11-5, in set one.

HSU owned most of set one to take a 1-0 lead in the match off of a 25-20 first set victory. Set two’s action was similar to that of the first. Henderson rattled off a pair of 3-0 runs and three 4-0 runs throughout the set for the 25-22 win to bring them within a single set of securing the match.

SAU had something to say about their 2-0 deficit, though. After being down 4-2 in set three, the Muleriders would claim the lead and keep it the rest of the set to get on the board with a 25-21 third set.

With the triumph in their grasp, HSU looked to complete the task at hand in set four. Once they overcame their 1-0 deficit to start the set, they took over and never looked back, winning the match 3-1 and the set 25-15 over SAU to become 1-0 on the season.

Robinson finished the night with a match-high 12 kills, while Scalzi accounted for a team-high 16 assists. Thoman rounded off her night with 15 digs, and the newcomer Mendoza Quintana stuffed the stat sheet with seven kills, three aces, two blocks, and 11 digs on the evening.

HSU returns to action next Tuesday when they face Harding in a 6:30 pm matchup at the Duke-Wells Center.