Time Was Not on Tech’s Side

Reddies Rally Against Russellville Conference Rival

Teuana Smith, Sports Reporter

The Reddies (2-3 GAC)  finessed another win against Arkansas Tech (3-3, 1-3 GAC). This was the second meeting of the season between the conference foes. Senior forward Raekwon Rodgers won the opening tip for the Reddies, giving himself and senior guard Xavier Davenport a chance to rack up seven points in the first three minutes of the game and give them a 7-0 HSU lead. 

Arkansas Tech got on the scoreboard at the 16:30 mark with five points. Davenport stole the ball from Tech and dished it to the Reddies’ newest transfer, junior guard Malik Riddle, who went up for a shot but was fouled yet effortlessly made both of his free throws to put their lead at four. 

The Reddies kept their scoring pace with the Jeremiah Tony, one of the Reddies’ senior forwards, and Rogers duo putting up more buckets. The team’s energy reached a peak as Rodgers ran towards the goal for an unstoppable slam dunk, assisted by Damien Dear, junior guard, putting Henderson ahead 18-12 over the Wonder Boys. 

Rodgers was able to maneuver to the goal for another layup and-one, pushing the score to 21-12 with 11 minutes left in the first half. Arkansas Tech caught a hot hand, scoring eight points in under two minutes, upping the score to 23 – 20. 

Graham Chenault, sophomore guard, and Malik Riddle attempted to halt Tech’s shooting spree by responding with a barrage of their own as the score rose and Tech got within a point of the Reddies, 29-28. 

Nevertheless, Arkansas Tech was still gunning to shrink their deficit. Guard Cejay Mann from Tech shot two consecutive three-pointers, giving the Wonder Boys their first lead of the game at 31-29. It was clear that Arkansas Tech came back with a vengeance looking for redemption after their previous loss on January 9th, but it wasn’t enough to push the Reddies off the edge.

Henry Blair, junior guard, got his first score of the night after sinking a three-pointer at the 2:52 mark. Riddle followed suit with one of his own (37-33).  In the last minute of the game, Davenport scored a layup and a couple free throws to end the first half with HSU up by three, 41-38. 

Dear’s jumper and Riddle’s dunk set the Reddies ablaze to begin the second half (45-38). As the game progressed, HSU held a steady scoring pace. At the 14:33 mark, Damien Dear broke away for a fast break lay-up. This gave Henderson their largest lead of the night at 60-47. 

The Reddies faced a four-minute shooting drought, as Arkansas Tech scrapped for points to close the lead gap. Henderson eventually got back on the ball by taking turns executing field goals. Arkansas Tech stayed with them, answering every shot. 

With 3:30 left in the ball game, the score held at 78-66, with Henderson having the advantage. Due to the Reddies’ having difficulty putting pressure on Tech’s offense. HSU was stuck at 78 points until Davenport was fouled at the 1:33 mark 

In the last minute of the game, it became a duel of free throws to determine who would get the victory. The score inched closer and closer, as the board read 80-78 and just 12 seconds left on the clock. Dear’s last two free throws were enough to secure the win for the Reddies.

Henderson travels to Arkansas-Monticello for a Saturday afternoon matchup versus the Boll Weevils.