First Pitch Approaching Fast for Reddies Baseball and Softball

After a Halted 2020 Season, HSU Sports Return to the Diamond

Haley Spicer, Sports Reporter

After a hectic year in 2020, student athletes want nothing more than to play sports again. COVID has challenged their love for playing a sport they enjoy. However, much relief has come in January 2021 as seasons are beginning after a long-waited start date.

The Great American Conference provided a much anticipated update regarding all Spring athletics on January 19, 2021 after the first half of the season was cancelled. One of the main things that was expected was a mask mandate, which will be necessary for participating on game days, excluding the players actively involved during the duration of the game.

The Reddies baseball team was tabbed seventh in the preseason poll. Their first pitch is set to be thrown on February 11, 2021, against rival Ouachita Baptist University. Prior to the 2020 season’s abrupt end, Henderson was looking impressive to start as they had picked up wins over ranked as well as conference opponents.

Henderson has several players returning for the 2021 season that include: outfielders Alec Lewis and Danny Mitchell, infielders Kaden Argenbright and Greyson Stevens and pitchers Austin Cross, Spencer Taack and Taylor Langston. Lewis hit an outstanding .476 through 14 games while Argenbright recorded 22 hits and RBIs. Stevens added his own touch of 6 home runs and team leading 27 RBIs.

HSU Softball was also tabbed seventh in their preseason poll for the 2021 season. The Reddies will have a new head coach heading into the season in David Martinez, after coming off a 10-4 record in the previous year. Two phenomenal Reddies will return for another season: Ashlyn Taylor, a top hitter on the team, at .351 playing shortstop and Abbie Moore hitting a .342 and total base leader at 41.

Henderson begins their season on January 29, 2021, at home against non-conference opponent Delta State.