Short-Handed Bisons Survive in Searcy

Harding Barely Qualifies to Compete and Shows Up Against Henderson

Haley Spicer, Sports Reporter

The Harding Bisons only had 8 players dressed and active to play against the Reddies (1-2 GAC). The disadvantage seemed to be no issue as Harding (2-0 GAC) was hot from three-point range, knocking down seven threes in the first half.

Fouls began to tally on the Bisons which favored Henderson as three starters found themselves in foul trouble with two fouls a piece. However, free throws helped Henderson stay in the game as they went 11 for 15 from the line. The Reddies were outscoring Harding off the bench as well as in the paint.

The eight-man Bisons squad went on a 11-0 run and gained momentum as they began to knock down outside shots. Senior guard Xavier Davenport responded with a 5-0 run of his own, and the Reddies hit four shots on four consecutive trips down the court to get the Harding lead down to seven with less than two minutes remaining in the half.

Only one player had a pair fouls on the HSU sideline up to that point. Henderson outrebounded the Bisons, despite being down by 9. Henderson opened the second half with back to back three pointers by junior guard Quawn Marshall and sophomore guard Graham Chenault, which instantly gave the Reddies the advantage.

In response, back came the Bisons with their seven-point run just as HSU was narrowing the gap. The clutch three-point shooting by Harding helped them offensively.

The pace was constantly going back and forth by both teams and steadily intensifying. However, the fouls did begin to pile up for Harding midway through the second half, as four players picked up four fouls each, three of those guys being starters.

Henderson remained in the game by out rebounding Harding and had more second chance points, bench points, and blocks. Free throws were drastically helping HSU from becoming out of reach in the game. The Reddies were 15 for 23 from the free throw line thus far.

The game continued to heat up as the Bisons’ lead was down to five points with eight minutes left in the game. As the clock continued to run down, the fouls by the Bisons eventually led to two players fouling out at a crucial point in the game.

Henderson’s defensive presence forced a five-second call on the Bisons, erupting the Reddies’ bench into excitement. Clutch shots were being traded between both teams until Harding pulled away in the dog fight game in the final minutes. Harding captured the home win over Henderson State, 89-79.

The Reddies will look to get back in the win column on Jan. 16 at home against the Boll Weevils of Arkansas-Monticello.