Reddie Swimming Signee: Jaynie Ferguson

Incoming athlete Jaynie Ferguson

Haley Spicer, Sports Reporter

It is finally November and as the last week of on-campus classes is coming to a close, however, what is beginning for the Reddies is searching for recruits for the upcoming season. This past week on November 11th was a day filled with congratulations messages as Jaynie Ferguson became an official Reddie which embarked where her next four years of being a student-athlete will take place. She is a 5’6 three-event participant in the free, fly, and backstrokes.

Ferguson is from Temple, Texas, and has left her mark at Belton High School lettering all four of her years in the program. She has also been named a First-Team All-District in her first three seasons. In her freshman year, she was awarded the BHS Newcomer of the year. Her heart and dedication for swimming have been recognized as she earned the BHS Fighting Heart Award when she was a sophomore and the following year, she received the Perseverance Award.

She had nothing but exciting things to say about Henderson State University which factored into her decision to Swim for the Reddies. “Of the schools that I had to choose from, I like Henderson’s size and welcoming atmosphere. I like how well the team got along and were welcoming to new swimmers. The campus and surrounding area felt like home”.

The transition from High School to college for Jaynie does not seem to bother her. “The biggest difference I expect to see is a change to swimming with and against others who are just as dedicated to the sport as I am”.

Her visit to Henderson had a lasting impact on her. “While it wasn’t a traditional visit due to COVID-19 restrictions, it was nice to meet the coaches and swimmers in person. I enjoyed getting to know everyone and seeing the campus. I had so much fun!”

She feels that she has valuable assets that she can bring to the team. “I look forward to bringing my hard work, dedication, and enthusiasm for the sport, along with my versatility among different events to help build the team to be even stronger than it already is”.