The impact of Jill Thomas

Haley Spicer, Sports Reporter

Henderson State University women’s basketball head coach Jill Thomas recently celebrated her birthday this past Saturday on November 7, 2020. Her impact day in and day out has been proven nothing short of success during her years with the women’s Reddie basketball team.

On Twitter, the Reddie WBB acknowledged her accolades and hard work in a few posts. In her last three seasons alone, she has had wins of 21, 18, and 20 and she just finished her 7th completed season wrapping up the 2019-2020 season as she waits to coach another season amid COVID-19.

She was named the Coach of the Year in 2014 as well as tallying 104 career wins at HSU. There have been 11 All-Conference players and 6 First team All-Conference players selected under her coaching. She currently holds 3 program record-holders on top of six 1,000 point club members to go along with 2 two time Defensive Player of the Year awards.

There are several career records that she has held that reflects her dynamic coaching. She has half of the top ten scorers in HSU history and three of the top-five career three-pointers made in Henderson State history. Coach Thomas thrives on the defensive end of the court as she has taught 2 two-time Defensive Player of the Year players as well as holding three of the top-five career block leaders, top two rebounders, and two of the top-five career steal leaders in school history.

She also has had one freshman of the year achievement. Academics are a huge part of being a student-athlete and she has had 2 two-time Academic All-Americans. To sum up all of her accomplishments thus far, she has been a great asset to the program and she has continued to take it to another level each year.