Burer, Bayless to perform recitals at OBU this week

Teuana Smith, Sports Reporter

Ouachita Baptist University’s Division of Music will host Michael Burer and Katelyn Bayless for their
senior recitals on Friday, Oct.30 at 11 a.m. in the McBeth Recital Hall. Seating in the hall is limited to
current students, faculty and staff due to COVID-19; the recital also will be available via
www.livestream.com/obu.
Burer is performing his trombone recital, as a student of Dr. Geoffrey Durbin. He is a senior instrumental
music major from Forney, Texas. He will be accompanied by Susan Monroe, Ouachita staff accompanist,
and Andrew Coop, senior worship arts major on Trombone.

“In these past four years at Ouachita, I have learned so much and grown in so many ways,” Burer said. “Not just as a person but also as a musician. The Division of Music at Ouachita has helped me in so many ways, and I am glad for their support during my time here. Without their help I would not be where I am as a performer.”
Bayless is senior choral music education major from Monticello, Ark. and a member of Kappa Delta Pi
honor society for education. She will be performing her vocal recital as a student of Catherine Durbin.
She also will be accompanied by Susan Monroe.
“Ouachita has given me lots of experience singing in front of people, and that has given me the
chance to express myself during my performance, especially with my recital,” said Bayless. “I am
most proud of just being able to get to this point in my degree and getting to share all that I’ve
learned with everyone.”
Bayless will begin her recital with two pieces by Roger Quilter’s, "Seven Elizabethan Lyrics:
I. Weep You No More” and “III. My Life’s Delight”. After, will be “Die Forelle” and “Du bist die Ruh”
by Franz Schubert. Next, she will perform “Extase” and “Le manoir de Rosemonde” by Henri Duparc and
W.A. Mozart’s “Vedrai, Carino” from Don Giovanni.She will complete her recital with Richard Rodgers’
“I Have Confidence” from The Sound of Music.
“The significance of the pieces I have chosen are the stories that each one tells,” Bayless said.
“Each song is unique in its own way and shows off different things that I have learned since being
at Ouachita.”
Burer is set to perform Robert Schumann’s “Adagio” from Adagio and Allegro, Op. 70, “Manipulations”
by Allen Molineux, “Trombone Institute of Technology” by Michael Davis, and close out with Nikolai
Rimsky-Korsakov’s “Allegro,” “Andante” and “Allegretto” from Trombone Concerto.
“I hope that not only my personal progress is evident in my senior recital but the faculty's work in
helping me get there is evident, as well,” he added. “Thank you to all who have helped me come
this far.”
Information provided by Madison Cresswell and Mandy Halbert. For more details, contact Ouachita’s
School of Fine Arts at (870) 245-5129.