A no go for HSU hoco

Henderson State’s homecoming canceled due to COVID-19

Teuana Smith, Sports Reporter

Homecoming has become another event added to the list of activities not happening for students at Henderson State this year due to Coronavirus. Faculty, staff, students, and alumni are accustomed to enjoying the annual festivities of tailgate parties and the energy of the football game during homecoming week.

Another event not happening is the Henderson vs Harding game would have taken place here in Arkadelphia at 2 p.m. Over the years, this game has always been a challenge. HSU first played and won against Harding on September 10, 2011, in Searcy, Arkansas with a score of 35-21. Henderson State won consecutively for the first three years. In 2012, the largest score division between the teams was created with a 32-10 victory for the Reddies. 

The following four years (2014-2017) were a back and forth battle for the win. HSU won two out of the four games, both being away. The last two years have been our longest losing streak. In September of 2019, the Reddies faced the first tough loss of the season by a single point (13-14). The Reddies ended the first half of the game in a three-point lead 10-7, but couldn’t quite keep up their momentum against the Bisons in the second half. Although not being able to be put down so easily, HSU gained a sixty-yard touchdown, in just 14 plays in the first nine minutes of the third quarter with a new lead of 14-10. Antoine Roshell, a junior defensive lineman, created an opportunity for the offensive to gain points by recovering Harding’s fumbled ball. Temo Martinez followed that up with a field goal at the 13-yard line cutting the Bison’s lead with eight minutes left (14-13). Both teams fought for the remaining time but had a difficult time getting the upper hand resulting in the final score.

The next game against Harding has been postponed to a later time due to the current pandemic but the fans and athletes are patiently waiting for the football season to make a comeback.