Spooktober: A week of fun

Juliann Reaper

Artwork colored by Arts Reporter Julian Reaper in celebration of Halloween approaching.

Engaging activities are in store for the Spooktober week of fun. As a freshman, I was unaware of the fact that Spooktober week is a new thing. I am excited for these events and hope it leads to future Spooktober weeks.

On Monday, Oct. 26, we have the “Kick-Off & T-shirt giveaway” from 11 am to 1 pm in the Dining Hall. Join SAB for a fun day of Fall treats while getting a free t-shirt.

Then on Tuesday, Oct. 27, we will have the “Costume Contest” from 7 to 9 pm in the Lecture Hall of the Garrison. Be sure to RSVP on the Corq app and enter the contest for a chance to win a total of $200. The categories included are: Scariest costume, Most Creative Costume, Best Group, Most Original, and Overall Winner.

On Wednesday, Oct. 28, we have the “Pumpkin Carving Contest” from 1 to 3 pm on the Quad. On the Corq app when you go to RSVP, it says there will be free food.

On Thursday, Oct. 29, there will be a movie and s’mores on the Quad at 8 pm. This is one event you do not want to miss. A chance to watch Hocus Pocus and have s’mores, popcorn, drinks, and other snacks just sounds too good to be true. Also, if you are one of the first 100 students to RSVP for this event you will get a free picnic blanket.

“Come out. All students are invited to come out and be involved with the events,” Goodwin said. “Make sure that when you do come out you maintain social distancing and wear your masks.”

The final event takes place on Friday, Oct. 30 from 5:30 to 7 pm. This event has been a tradition for HSU for a long time. It’s Henderson Halloween people. You simply cannot miss out on a chance to help with this tradition.

This year is different than the past years, however. Due to COVID-19 and the threat that it still poses to many peoples’ health, the Henderson Halloween will be a drive thru down Henderson street instead of the usual event on the South Lawn.

When asked what challenges he was expecting to face during Spooktober Week, Goodwin said “We aren’t really expecting to face many challenges, simply because we are prepared and willing to enforce social distancing during all events. The only challenge may be getting students to come out and participate due to COVID.”