Ford trudges on to victory in Hot Springs

Donovan Lee, Assistant Sports Editor

Last weekend, the Hot Springs Country Club hosted an Amateur Invitational tournament. Several Reddies golfers participated in a chance to take home that trophy.

The 36-hole tournament kicked off on Saturday with the first round and would wrap up Sunday afternoon with the final 18. Reddie Golf participants included Senior standout Nick Shapiro, along with redshirt Senior Stuart Krog, who finished third overall, redshirt juniors Mitchell Ford, Kasoma Paulino, and Grayson Jones. 

Freshmen players in the tournament included redshirts Jackson Cole and Josh McNulty, who finished the weekend in the Top 10 standings, Brady Perkins and true freshmen Nathan Cossement, and Miller Harris. All Henderson golfers would be Top 25 finishers for the Amateur Invitational.

However, it would be Little Rock native and Reddies senior Mitchell Ford who would bring home the title of champion. Ford shot his weekend’s best 67 on Sunday and would complete his title run shooting 8-under par to secure the trophy by a couple of strokes over the tournament runner-up.

Although the Reddies Golf team will not be having a season for the Fall 2020-2021 semester, their participation and results in the HSCC Amateur Invitational will give the Henderson hopefuls something to look forward to in the months to come. Tournaments like these give the players a chance to stay fresh on the green during this stoppage of play. Congratulations to Mitchell on his victory!