The notorious RBG

Government

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies at 87.

KaBryn Grayson, Managing Editor

When it comes to Ruth Bader Ginsburg or as a law student, dubbed her “the notorious R.B.G” the question is not what has she done but rather what has she not done. She has so many credentials it is hard to summarize them without leaving noteworthy ones out.

One of the most commonly known facts about her is that she was the second woman to serve in the Supreme Court. However, not many know she was the first Sumpreme Court justice to officiate a same-sex mariage ceremony on Aug. 31, 2013.

You can read about her credentials online, but other things such as her legacy and impact on current students are better told by the students themselves. 

Kayla Ventress, a senior Biology major admits that like most college students, “she doesn’t think she knows as much as she should” when it comes to RBG. However, due to her passing Ventress, she has become more educated.

She made a big impact on women’s rights and gender equality which I admire. As a woman, I know the importance of having someone of higher authority advocate for women’s rights,” Ventress said.

Ventress continues discussing what she has learned about RBG saying,  “I have learned more about her and her position on the SC since she passed away. She also did a lot of work advocating and ruling in favor of LGBTQ rights and many other cases involving social injustices.”

According to a survey conducted June 4-10, among those who rely on social media as the most common way they get political news is social media, only 8% are for political news and are least likely to follow the 2020 presidential candidates.

“I think a lot of students, whether male or female, don’t know much about politics coming into college. That is why there is a low rate voter turnout for college aged civilians,” Ventress said.  “If we were educated correctly or offered politics science courses in high school instead of offering just history courses, more females might realize their interest in the field.”

Ventress says, “most women go into a field looking to help people and they don’t realize that going into Law or Politics can also help people.”

Although Ventress acknowledges RBG’s accomplishments, she is hesitant to call her a role model.

I think RBG is a great role model for young women. She has gone to great measures to show how much she has overcome in her life to be where she was at,” Ventress said. “Personally, I can’t call someone a role model that I never knew of until a week ago but I do believe that woman should acquire a role model within their own beliefs and knowledge.”

Ventress believes someone needs to continue to champion for women’s rights, and hopes another woman fills RBG’s position.

“I would love to see a woman fill that position because there is now one less vote on the SC to advocate for women’s rights and other social injustices,” Ventress said.