Should the US go metric?

Haven Hughes

Faculty, students, and Arkadelphia community members express their opinion about whether the United States should use the metric system.

Haven Hughes, Contributing Reporter

The United States of America is among one of the only industrialized countries in the world that has yet to fully adopt the metric system. Alongside the states, only two other countries do not completely follow this system. 

“I think it would be beneficial for our nation to adopt the metric system,” associate dean of Ellis College and professor of mathematics Debra Coventry said. 

Despite there being some aspects that Americans use daily such as liters and grams, the transition has yet to come full circle where all citizens use it as their main form of measuring distance, volume, and mass. 

“It would allow for easier communication between countries,” Coventry said. “Individuals would feel more comfortable traveling between countries that use the same system.” 

Most of the world has open communication regarding measurements, distance, mass, etc. as different cultures follow the same guidelines. The States seem to be adamant about using the imperial system, however. 

“If it’s not broken, why try to fix it?” senior kinesiology major at Ouachita Baptist University Benjamin Miller said. 

Jonathan Hogeback, a writer for Britannica, explained that a lot of the world enforces a teaching strategy where people are taught both systems, such as rulers showing inches and centimeters, but as a whole that means the imperial system will not be wiped out completely. 

“I honestly never think about the fact that other places use something completely different,” Miller said. “I’m just used to using things like inches and gallons and miles.” 

Miller also feels as though it would bring a halt to the United States. He explains that the country has been living this way since it was founded and there is no reason to change because it would only add confusion and anger as he predicts Americans will not want to take the time to learn it. He feels himself that he would not want to learn it as he has already been living with the same system his whole life. 

“I think it would be interesting to see what happens if we decided to go to the metric system,” Arkadelphia construction worker Jeremy Davis said. “While change can be difficult, I feel that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.”