Black Lives Matter: HSU unites

Jasmyn Gordon

Students, faculty, and community members gathered to display solidarity for the Black Lives Matter movement.

Kelly Stiles, Editor In Chief, The Oracle

Chanting filled the crisp early autumn air. “No protest, no change,” a sea of people dressed in black yelled, many bearing signs reading, “Black Lives Matter.” 

Student Kennedy White proudly displays a sign reading, “To be young, gifted + black.” (Jasmyn Gordon)

Oct. 1, students, faculty, and community members gathered to protest the ongoing mistreatment of black people by American police forces. On the heels of controversy surrounding the murder of African American medical worker Breonna Taylor by police officers in Louisville, Ky., protesters held this example in the forefront of their minds.

“It’s nice to see people of different organizations, colors and walks of life come together,” senior nursing major Lanee Boyd said.

Participating in her third Black Lives Matter protest, Boyd enjoys seeing her fellow Reddies stand up for what they believe in.

The march was led by Henderson’s Black Student Association. Beginning near the Henderson fountain, the group walked the borders of campus, and approached the auditorium entrance to Arkansas Hall. There, the masses gathered to listen.

President of BSA Kamryn Harris addressed the crowd from a microphone behind a wooden stand. She thanked everyone for participating in the event, then proceeded to introduce BSA member Ciera Ferguson, who sang an acapella song about freedom.

BSA member Ciera Ferguson lifts her voice in support of freedom. (Jasmyn Gordon)

Chaplain of Angelic Voices of Christ brother Charles Craig II delivered a message surrounding the biblical verses of Ephesians 4:1-6 which discusses how people who worship God should be unified with each other.

As Craig left the podium, Harris stepped back behind the microphone and quoted a song she had heard earlier that day, “Bigger Picture” by Lil Baby. 

“It’s bigger than black and white,” the song states.

Protesters march together on the Henderson Campus. (Jasmyn Gordon)

The event ended once president of the Student Activity Board and BSA member Orlando Goodwin reminded the crowd to social distance as they left.

“This is my first time at a Black Lives Matter protest,” senior sports management major Jessie Walker said.

Having moved to Ark. from Calif., Walker has heard about the injustices brought against black people from the perspectives of different geographies. While he expected this march to be longer than it was, he was glad to have taken part in it.

“We are bringing awareness,” junior aviation management major Clarissa Holcomb said. “It brings me hope.”

For more coverage of Henderson’s Black lives Matter march, watch the video created by Henderson Television on YouTube.