Longtime HSU physical plant maintenance supervisor dies at 58

Michael Brooks affected the lives of many through his hard work at Henderson and beyond.

Submitted

Lance Brownfield, Opinion Editor

Michael Brooks maintained more than the facilities at Henderson: He maintained relationships.

“I only saw him when something wasn’t working right but I always enjoyed that it was Mike that would be by to work on the problem,” professor of mathematics Dr. Fred Worth said. “He would always get it done right and would always make his visit a pleasant one with friendly conversation.”

Brooks was known for being easy going and always smiling and joking. He was also a lifelong fan of the University of Alabama football team.

Michael Brooks is well-known for his wonderful sense of humor and delightful conversation. (Submitted)

A longtime plant maintenance supervisor at Henderson, Brooks died of a heart attack on Saturday, Sept. 12. He is preceded in death by his wife Stacey, who died just five weeks before him.

Brooks is missed by many here at Henderson. He is remembered fondly by those who were fortunate enough to work around him.

“We always had good talks when we saw each other,” stated Henderson administrative specialist III Martha Bryant in Brooks’s online obituary guestbook.

Brooks’s impact could be felt all over campus. Everyone from faculty and staff to the students and fellow maintenance workers.

“Mike was a delight to be around,” stated Pam Ligon, associate dean of academic services. “He was always smiling and willing to lend a helping hand.”

His visitation and service was held in person and on Facebook live on Wednesday, Sept. 16 at Cross Roads Missionary Baptist Church in Benton. He was then laid to rest at Ten Mile Cemetery in Benton.

Much like Henderson, Brooks had a strong spirit. He is remembered fondly by so many people on and off campus.