UNO: A stormy COVID-19 evening

A true story of a stormy game night affected by COVID-19

Senior wildlife biology major Chloe Stiles

Nia Nelson, Contributing Reporter

The day was boring, and classes had been cancelled Aug. 27 for a storm that did not seem to do much to the town. It was raining, and everyone was stuck inside because nothing was worth going out in the rain for. The game of UNO was getting pretty intense.

“UNO!” the girl said, a smug smile on her face.

“Ha, you thought,” the boy said as he laid down a draw-two card.

“It’s okay—payback’s a b****.”

“I’m not too worried about it. UNO and UNO OUT!”

Then the girl’s phone rang, and she answered.

“Hello?” There was silence for a moment. “Excuse me, WHAT? So, now what do I have to do? I only have 15 minutes to get everything? When am I allowed back? Okay, thank you.”

“Who was that?” The boy asked.

“That was the student health services of my school. My roommate tested positive for COVID-19.”

“Wait, what?”

“Yes, she tested positive, and now I am being kicked out of the dorms until my quarantine is up—even if I am negative. Also, we’re all going to have to get tested since we’ve been so close.”

“You’re joking, right?”

“I wish I was. She didn’t even tell me she had to get tested. She’s been gone for a while, and I just assumed she was with her boyfriend.”

“Now I have to tell my roommates since we’ve been at my apartment the most. This is a sh**show, literally.”

“I know, and I’m so sorry. If I had known she was going to get tested I wouldn’t have even come over here.”

“It’s okay. I know you had no idea. I just feel terrible that they could’ve possibly been exposed.”

“I tested negative on Friday because the track team had to get tested, so maybe we will be safe since I just did it.”

“I don’t know. With the way we know basically nothing about this virus except that it is highly contagious isn’t giving me much hope. We have been around each other closer than six feet and no masks.”

The stress in the girl’s face was evident. “I am so sorry. We need to make sure we tell everyone we have been around here lately just to be safe.”

The other two friends that had been in the back room came to the front. They read the room.

“What happened?” one of the girls asked.

“Yeah, who died?” said the other.

“Long story short, we all need to be tested for COVID-19 because of our friend’s dumba** roommate,” the boy told them.

“No way! I cannot get this virus again!” the second girl said.

“I can’t get it in general,” said the first. “I will be out of work for too long!”

The boy tried to be the voice of reason. “Okay, everyone calm down. We may all be fine. Let’s just get tested and go from there.”