SAU recognizes 172 grads at Summer ceremony

Jessica Williamson

Southern Arkansas University honored 172 graduates with undergraduate and graduate degrees at its Summer Commencement ceremonies on Friday, August 7 and Saturday, August 8, 2020.

Braylon Dwight Samuels from Gurdon, AR, graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in Human Performance, Recreation, and Community Service: Sport Management through the College of Education.

Linetta Danielle Jackson from Arkadelphia, AR, graduated with a Master of Education degree in Library Media through the College of Education.

Christon Faye Storment from Arkadelphia, AR, graduated with a Master of Education degree in Library Media through the College of Education.

A total of 172 SAU graduates received degrees this summer. Of those, 109 candidates graduated from the School of Graduate Studies and 63 undergraduate candidates were recognized from SAU’s four academic colleges.

Commencement ceremonies looked slightly different this summer, as SAU adapted to the changes that COVID-19 brought not only to the SAU community, but the entire globe. As a result, all six commencement ceremonies were held at Wilkins Football Stadium on campus. In addition, a number of spring graduates who received their degrees in May 2020 also chose to walk in the summer commencement ceremonies, due to the spring commencement ceremonies being canceled.

Southern Arkansas University has embraced its culture of caring for students, faculty, and staff for more than a century, dating back to the earliest years of the institution. The university is dedicated to student achievement and success, both in classes and online. With traditional and unique academic degree programs ranked nationally for quality and affordability, SAU offers the complete college experience to prepare students for success in the workforce.